Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recipe for my best homemade potting mix

doubleaitch
Just Starting Out

Recipe for my best homemade potting mix

For a number of years I have struggled to find a good commercial potting mix that does not need additional product to grow in. Below is the 'recipe' I use and I have had great success with - from Hydrangeas to Roses, Herbs to Tomatoes and pretty much everything I have tried.

In a buildings tub I mix

I bag Manure (cow or sheep)

1/2 bag of Perlite

1/2 bag of Peat Moss

1/2 (9ltr) bucket spent coffee grounds

1/2 large block of Coconut Coir, broken up dry

2 (9ltr) Buckets of garden soil

1 handful of all purpose fertiliser granules

2 handfuls of Rooster Booster or Dynamic Lifter

The cost of the mix rates alongside the best of the commercial potting mixes but I find it much more successful for pretty much everything I have grown with it.

I mix the ingredients dry (including the coconut coir)  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best Homemade Potting Mix

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @doubleaitch. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and many thanks for sharing your recipe.

That sounds like a great growing medium you have created there, as it would suit many plants. I trust our community will benefit from having you as a member, as you're obviously very knowledgeable.

Many thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing more about your projects around the house and garden. Please let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share with us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects