Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycle your leaves

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Recycle your leaves

Have you got autumn leaves everywhere at the moment? Don't throw them all in the green waste bin. You can use them to help your garden.

Put them the leaves in a large garbage bag, adding a little water and dynamic lifter. Then tie the top of the bag and leave them for a few months. When you go back to the bag you'll find you have fantastic organic matter to spread into your soil that is rich in nutrients. 

You can also spread leaves directly onto garden beds as mulch. Just pop some cow manure or dynamic lifter on top to help them to break down.

Fall_Leaves_(232874725).jpeg

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Recycle your leaves

What does my head in is the people that use a leaf blower to blow them next door or into the gutter. Just buy a rake!

timjeffries
Making a Splash

They're a great filler for the compost!

I am lucky to have a beautiful tree in the front yard and gathering compost material after the leaves fall to the ground!
They are great to mulch the winter crops and keeping the soil warm.
Also awesome organic materials for the spring crops!

Fabulous! I have leaves all year round and are always looking for a way to return to the earth, recycle recycle, !
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the conversation @Nani and welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I'm sure you will find plenty of like-minded people here. 

Please let me know if you need any help getting the most from the site. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIY_Dad
Cultivating a Following

I add mine as dry waste to the compost bin.

I found this on on uTube years ago after an injury, which meant many things, and no digging was out.
Seeing I dont have green thumbs... I was lucky people gave me plants.
So I tried the newspaper/cardboard to start laying out my garden bed, and surrounded by blue stone rocks to keep down.
Had lots of grass clippings, and am surrounded by oak trees, and neighbours think I am wonderful, I go over and collect them, and layer my garden, cardboard, grass clippings, newspaper, brown leave, newspaper grass and so on, when I want to plant anything I just poke a hole and plant. the whole lot decomposes and with the brown on top gives it a nice Autumn look.

This year I was suprised as after 4 years, I was rearranging and enlarging, and I had masses of worm which had broken down the sand and some of the clay which I am "blessed with"

When we collect too much grass [ my neighbours wheel over their wheelie bins fun of grass when they mow their lawns [ have awesome neighbours] so we bag them and add a little natural fertiliser made from drowning and weeds in any other part of garden, when dead, the weeds go into the compost bins and the liquid is diluted and put in with the leave & grass in bags, and end up with worms.
I think thats good but not knowing anything.... I am hoping its good.

Was talking to one of my elderly european neighbours who gave me some rhubarb plants
1. dont throw rhubarb leave in compost, put in water and it will be a natural poison for around the edge of block
2. use my spare blender to blend all scraps [except bananas - do them separate for roses. and just pour the mixture straight on garden. - works great.
and I remembered 3, use boilding water to get rid of the ivy infested property when I moved in.
So I am doing that and it simple, doesnt cost anything and works wonders.
AND
I dont have to dig to have a garden.
So Leaves and grass are wonderful, and neighbours extra happy they dont have to worry about them :smile:
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

A reminder to everyone at this time of year to recycle those fallen leaves. 

How is everyone coping with all the autumn leaves at the moment? At our place we have too many to recycle, so some do go into the green waste bin. 

I'm trying to be particularly vigilant to either mow or rake the lawn regularly so that the grass gets the last of the autumn sun before winter kicks in. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects