Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Red spider mite on fiddle-leaf fig

cka44
Just Starting Out

Red spider mite on fiddle-leaf fig

I think I have red spider mite on my indoor fiddleback fig.  Dark pin prick spots on back of leaf.  Can anyone tell me What is best cure?

Thank you.

A164428D-77BC-49A7-9701-CFE749EE2B34.jpeg  056ACF06-18CF-4430-8618-6853305EDBD9.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: red spider mite on fiddle back fig

Hi @cka44 and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join in the discussion and trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

Thanks for the photos you have shared. Let me tag the amazing @Noelle to see if she might like to kick off this discussion for you.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: red spider mite on fiddle back fig

Hi @cka44 

It certainly looks like a mite infestation. Try gently wiping the undersides of the leaves with a soft cloth dipped into a solution of ecoOil or White Oil, diluted with water as per the label instructions.

Or if you prefer and have a sheltered spot to do it, take the plant outside and spray the undersides of the leaves with the same solution., Leave the plant outside until the leaves have dried off - you don't want runoff dripping on to carpet or your floor!

While you're at it, gently wipe the topsides of the leaves too - it will remove any dust and leave them shiny and clean!

If this indoor plant has insect pests on it, check other indoor plants as well and treat them too if required.

Merete
Just Starting Out

Re: Red spider mite on fiddle-leaf fig

@Noelle 

20240221_102850.jpg

 is that what my plant has as well?

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks very like it, @Merete 

The advice given to @cka44  will help

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Merete and thanks for joining in the discussion. Great to see you receive such a prompt reply from our wonderfully helpful and knowledgable community member Noelle.

Please let us know how you go with the advice above and let us know if you need a hand with anything else. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects