Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ridding the garden of snails

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Ridding the garden of snails

snails.jpg

This is the snail family that makes a 8 hour journey across our front path nearly every night. 

I know that snail / slug killer is readily available to remove them, however I don't really want to kill them. I would rather send them elsewhere. (there are baby ones!)

Does anyone have any tips or alternatives to ridding the garden of snails and also any tips or handy hints on how to keep them away?

Or is using the snail/slug killer my best option? I feel like they are currently hosting a family reunion in our front yard. 

Kay

Re: Snail Family

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Cathstarr. It's fantastic to have you join us and great to see you jump straight into the conversation.

It's also wonderful to see you already offering advice on some methods that have worked well for you. I know snails can be an issue in many of our members' backyards, often causing great devastation, so I'm sure they appreciate the advice. 

Interestingly, the Cantareus asperses or common garden snail in Australia is an introduced species from Europe and almost identical to those found on the plates of fine dining restaurants in France. The same snails that we battle in our backyards are raised commercially in Australia and exported to France. Even Australian restaurants pay on average $0.50 a snail, and I considered raising them as a viable venture. I got so far into it that I established a breeding program for selecting traits desirable in French restaurants and that commanded a premium price tag.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects