Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Saturday repot

hamlyf
Growing in Experience

Saturday repot

980x980.jpeg
EstelleRose
Finding My Feet

Re: Saturday repot

How often do you repot your plants? and are they indoor? Two of mine are starting to go brown and my succulents never seem to last! any tips would help (for indoor plants)

hamlyf
Growing in Experience

Re: Saturday repot

@EstelleRose sorry I just saw your comment! 

I usually only repot my plants in the spring or autmn. This is when plants go through a growth spurt and extend their root system. If you repot a plant in winter, the plant wont grow into the new space and the potting mix will just sit there and rot. This can be really bad for the plant down the track.

In terms of how often, I'd say as little as possible. I check under the pot to see if I can see any roots coming out of the drainage holes. This gives me a good indication of how cramped things are in there.  

The plants above are all indoor plants. Most of them are over a year old and it's their first repot.

Re-potting is generally one of the last things I'd look to do if a plant was sick as it's very traumatic for the plant and in my experience is rarely the problem.

What symtoms are your sick plants displaying? 

Hope this helps :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects