Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Screen panels on uneven colorbond fence

emrahm
Finding My Feet

Screen panels on uneven colorbond fence

Hi everyone, after browsing the various backyard projects on here I've decided to start my own little project. 

I'd like to cover an existing colorbond fence with horizontal timber slats and I understand that I need to make a frame to screw the timber panels onto. 

One  side of the fence is level and shouldn't be a problem putting up the frame, but the rear fence is not level (see attached).
Does anyone have any tips on how to put up a frame against an uneven Colorbond fence?

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Screen panels on uneven colorbond fence

Welcome to the Workshop community @emrahm. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

Did you want the frames to correct the unevenness of the fence or to follow it? If you were happy with the stepped nature of it, it would be the same process as constructing the frames for the even portion. The frames would just step down each panel as the Colorbond does. If you wanted to keep the frames level across the fence, each time the Colorbond steps down you would need to construct the frame larger to compensate for the additional height.

What type of frames were you considering building?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Mitchell, I wanted to keep the frame level and your advice has helped. I was thinking to put up a pine timber frame (running horizontally at the top and vertically every 1200) onto the colorbond, and attach horizontal pine lengths (like decking timber), which I would give two coats of paint. 

I was at bunnings today and noticed that there is structural and non structural pine, and separately there is decking pine. Does it make a difference as to what I use? 

I was planning to use decking pine for both the frame and the panel itself. Here is an image of the look I am going for.

0C732171-73CC-4FC7-8C0F-A149A69A588F.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @emrahm,

Any pine timber that is used externally and above ground must carry an H3 treatment. Our range of H3 treated pine framing timber will be rated as MGP 10 and is suitable for building frames.

Consideration should be given as to whether panels of this size and weight should be fixed solely onto the existing Colorbond fence. The image you've posted above will add several hundred kilograms of weight onto a fence which both it and the post foundations were not designed for.  You might like to start with the bottom rail of the frames mounted on top of some Pryda Post Anchor Half Stirrup Solid Stem 300mm M10 which are concreted into the ground. That way the weight of the panels are directed straight into the ground instead of bearing on the fence. You can then fix the frames to the fence to keep them stable.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects