Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Seeking inspiration for Side of House

sgood
Getting Established

Seeking inspiration for Side of House

We have just layed down some pavers along the side of the house and have a retaining wall and fence that is very bland.  We are seeking inspiration from people on what we can do with this space.  We do not need the whole fence filled (maybe just a few window views to enjoy the space looking out.  (Some ideas are maybe a vertical garden, bamboo or lattice screening.  Does anyone have a similar area that they have done that they could share.

20200506_135500.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Seeking inspiration for Side of House

Welcome to the Workshop community @sgood. I'd be happy to start the discussion.

I'm confident our creative members will come up with some great solutions for your space.

My first thought which would look fantastic is to use wire to train a climbing plant up the fence. Some great inspiration can be found in this post by @royq Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence. You could have several large window pots along the wall which the climbing plants could grow from.

There is also a fantastic range of Matrix screening which you might like to take a look at that could improve the appearance of the area.

If you would further information on the Matrix products or on the installation of wire trellis, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @sgood 

I suggest some artificial bamboo fencing attached to the colorbond fencing to remove the harsh industrial look. Using planter boxes, plant some bamboo shoots in the planterbox only. Do not plant directly into soil near fence as we want to control the bamboo from spreading. Re paint the retaining wall so it will have a fresh new look. I suggest narrow planter boxes on the floor and your choice of flower or ornamental plant.  Cafe lights running the whole length for that evening ambiance! A small table and chair to enjoy the view. A dart board at the end near gate to keep everyone entertained.

20200509_222040.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

sgood
Getting Established

20200509_162127.jpg

Decided to put up some Bamboo Reed Screening along fence.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

It looks so much better already!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great start @sgood

I suggest you search for "vertical garden" here on Workshop and you'll see some great examples of how you could add grenery and colour to the space. 

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve. 

Jason

martin1
Growing in Experience

a couple of big terracotta pots with dipladenia/mandevilla will bring almost year round flowers if the area has a bit of sun. they will climb with support and/or hang down over the wall.

dirtygardener
Building a Reputation

Hi there

I would start with large lightweight pots along the wall with spillover plants.

Depending on the sun/shade situation I'd suggest:

Sunny - Russelia, Convolvulus, Nemesia, Bacopa, Erigeron, Geraniums plus you could change it up with annuals such as petunia and lobelia.

Shady - Dichondra, Sedums, Tradescantia pallida

And believe it or not, if you take out some of the gravelly stuff in the tiny crack between the pavers and the wall and put in some soil, you could plant Erigeron (seaside daisy) in the crack and it will grow and soften the whole edge along the side. Easy to control with scissors or the whipper snipper.

Your work so far looks great.

This is what I install for my clients. 

vertical gardens are amazing if done properly!

CFCE5CD8-DCC0-4641-9629-0BC4018AD7F6.jpeg

What a great project once again @verticalgarden.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects