Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I keep this plant?

charlotte1
Getting Established

Should I keep this plant?

7837AA47-BCDD-488E-9A6F-2EBEDEF0BC10.jpeg

76E7B676-F7FA-4AFB-9EF5-ABFA2C0A4312.jpeg

I just bought this house and Find quite a lot of this plant in the garden. Should I remove or keep it?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: garden plant

Hello @charlotte1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about whether to remove this particular plant from your garden. 

Looking at the photos you've posted, they look like some type of broadleaf weed. These types of weed often have tiny white or purple flowers and thrive on all types of soil. The leaves come out in pairs and have a hairy stem and body. However, if you notice that this plant is choking your main plant, I recommend removing it so that your plant will not have any competitors for the nutrients in the soil. 

Here is a handy link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Should I keep this plant?

Hi @charlotte1 

This looks very like periwinkle which is capable of growing vigorously and strangling or smothering everything in its path over time. I'd remove it while it is still small and controllable, and keep doing so until it disappears completely.

You could use an organic weedkiller to eradicate it or simply keep digging or pulling it out as you come across it.  It's one of those invasive plants that's better out than in!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects