Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I transplant a potted Mango to ground?

Neo19
Making a Splash

Should I transplant a potted Mango to ground?

I have a 2 - 3 year old mango tree (possibly KP) in a pot. It's growing in height however nil fruits so far.

Had flowers for the first time last year, however no fruits. 

Was thinking of moving it to ground so the tree can 'spread it's wings and fulfil it's destiny' :smile:

However due to main vertical trunk being very weak towards the top, I am supporting the same with plant ties. Worried about the effects of wind once it's in ground. 

I think I need to prune the top end to make it lighter and cut off the vertical trunk where there is a red line in the pic !

Heavy pruning and transplanting... Is this too much stress for the plant to handle? or prune now, and transplant at the end spring?IMG_20210909_150258.jpgIMG_20210909_150312.jpgInkedIMG_20210909_150312_LI.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I transplant a potted Mango to ground?

Hi @Neo19,

Re-planting sounds like a good idea. However, I'm not convinced that's an excellent place to cut or if you should cut the top at all. Under that cutline, are there any shoots until you get right down to the bottom branches? If not, you'll run the risk of that entire vertical trunk dying back.

I believe it would be a much better idea to replant the tree as is and then drive in three Whites 240cm Premium Black Ultraposts surrounding it and set back from the trunk around 40cm. Grunt 50mm x 25m Jute Webbing can then be run between each post and the trunk to hold it firmly in the middle of them. You have a couple of floppy leading shoots now, but they will toughen up over time.

Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @Adam_W and @Noelle, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

MitchellMc's approach is the best option. I would not recommend cutting where indicated because it will almost certainly die back. Transplanting and good support are what it needs.

Hi @Neo19 Certainly agree with what has been said by @MitchellMc and @Noelle 
It would be good to transplant before this mango starts to get root-bound too.
With a taller plant like this staking is critical for success to allow roots to establish. You might find some useful tips in my fruit tree planting video. I include a bit on staking from about 2:40

Thank you @Adam_W @Noelle @MitchellMc for your helpful suggestions. 

I've transplanted the same today. 

IMG_20210918_151040.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Perfect @Neo19, that's looks fantastic!

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects