Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Silver Princess Eucalyptus marks on leaves

PN
Having an Impact

Silver Princess Eucalyptus marks on leaves

Hi @MitchellMc 

Hope you are keeping well. I had a question. We got a silver princess eucalyptus recently and its leaves have this marks in the last couple of weeks. How can we treat these marks and what kind of disease is it ? Please see photo below. 

Thanks

Partha

2021129 Silver princess.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Silver Princess Eucalyptus marks on leaves

I've been fantastic, thanks, Partha (@PN). I hope you've been well too.

I don't know if I could decipher whether this is just insect damage or whether it is something else that has damaged the leaves. It could potentially be leaf spot or blight, but I'm not particularly convinced of that. It's not unusual to have quite a few leaves like this, even on healthy Eucalyptus. How many of the plant leaves look like the one in the middle of the photo? If it's just one or two, you can just remove them and monitor the plant.

If you can manage to get some slightly more in focus shots of the damage, perhaps one of our gardening experts could identify the cause.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PN
Having an Impact

Hi @MitchellMc 

Many thanks for your help. i have removed the leaf from the tree and shared two more images below. There is 2 to 3 leaves in the tree like this. This leaf is the worst the others have one or two small spots. 

Many Thanks

Partha

SP Image 1.jpgSP Image 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PN

It looks like a bacterial brown spot. This type of fungus attaches itself to the leaves and waits for the right conditions to propagate. This is usually when there is too much moisture in the air and there is not enough sun. Looking at your plant it seems to be in the early stages as it has not yet affected the stems. I suggest cutting the heavily infected leaves and using Yates 200ml Liquid Copper Fungicide. Please note that this is a concentrate and must be diluted before use.

Let me tag our experienced members @BradN  and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need more information, please let us know.

Eric

PN
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL Eric. I will move the plant to another part of the garden with more sun light and also apply the fungicide and remove the impacted leaves as you have suggested. 

Thanks

Partha

PN
Having an Impact

Hi @MitchellMc and @EricL Sorry to bug you again. I got the Japanese Mapel now with these white spots. The mapel is in full sun in the front garden ( part of the lawn to wild life garden makeover project). Recently it has copped a severe battering from winds blowing. 

What should I treat the leaves with? 

Many thanks for your help. 

Thanks

Partha

20211208 Maple leaf 1.jpg20211208 Maple leaf 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PN

Have you recently had a lot of rain in your area? Did plenty of leaves come off the Maple tree? I suspect it could be anthracnose, touch the leaves of the tree and see if it feels like it has a powdery texture on it. If it does this is usually a sign of fungal infection. In this instance, you'll need to change your watering habits. I recommend watering only the base of the Maple tree and not the leaves. This is to prevent the further spread of the fungus. Remove all of the fallen leaves on the ground and place them in the bin. Do not mix them in your compost. The fungus thrives on dead leaves and dead vegetation. I suggest clearing the area of these to prevent them from spreading into the roots of the tree. I suggest using Yates 200ml Liquid Copper Fungicide to treat the Maple tree.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

PN
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL Eric 

We have had a fair bit of rain in recent weeks. Will note what you said about not watering the leaves. There is no falling of leaves from the tree. I will use the Yates Fungicide to treat the tree.

Many Thanks for your help. 

Thanks 

Partha

PN
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL Eric & @MitchellMc Mitchell 

Happy New Year and hope you had a good Christmas and New Year break. I wanted to provide an update on the Silver Princess. I applied the copper spray on the silver princess and have done so twice at a fortnight's interval. 

I was worried about the silver princess as it was not showing any growth - but in the last few days it has come out of hiatus and has had an explosion of leaf growth. I am now more optimistic that it will grow. I have it in a part shade part sun part of the back yard. Hoping it continues to grow. 

Image of the leaf growth enclosed. i am planning to use seasol gold liquid on the plant to fertilise. Thanks Partha

Leaf growthLeaf growth

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PN (Partha)

Thank you so much for the update. Your plant is looking much better and it's good to see that you've had some new leaf growth. The addition of Seasol will definitely improve the overall condition of your plant. How is your Maple tree? I hope that it is in better condition, I suggest using Sesol on it as well. If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

We look forward to your next update.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects