Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Small Pond

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Small Pond

Decided to put a small pond in the backyard for somthing to do while stuck at home alot. Ive only just started but have roughly a 1.8x1.8 square cut out of my grass sofar - and plan on digging about a metre down then lining it with some pond liner tomorrow ( this stuff https://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-0-5mm-x-4m-pvc-pond-liner_p2929254 )

Once thats all done I'll have to decide whether to border it with bushrock or pavers or maybe some kind of wooden floorboard border Im not sure yet but Im not in a rush to finish so thats ok :smile:

Eventually hopefully I can put some fish in it like koi or somthing and get some frogs and things happening around the area. I also have a spearpoint box right next to where Im digging - so 240volt power is available there for some kind of water feature in the future i guess (or I could plumb it into the spearpoint system I suppose but that seems overkill)
20210903_164008.jpg20210903_173003.jpg20210903_183529.jpg20210903_183430.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Small Pond

This sounds like it'll be an amazing build, @Prawns! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you can do with the space and following along.

Make sure you keep us updated and reach out if you need any assistance.

Thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Up at 6am and started digging. Im at depth now (a little over 1metre depth one end, a little under 1metre at the other end)

I also made a "shelf" on one side of the hole that will only be underwater about 100mm so I can put some aquatic plants there that might not want the 1metre deep part I guess.

I tried to keep the corners a bit rounded to keep the fish happier when they circle the pond perimeter so they dont headbang themselves as well lols
20210904_081809.jpg20210904_082825.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's looking ace @Prawns! All I've done since 6am is have a couple of cups of coffee.

You're making some cracking progress. What's next, the pond liner?

Looking forward to your next instalment.

Mitchell

I'm interested because I want to do the same I have to work out how to have it child proof because the area is open 

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

It begins - Pond liner installed, and I got x2 outlets from the spearpoint pump running into it (its going to be full of bore water little smelly hahahhaha)20210904_103611.jpg20210904_104733.jpg20210904_105113.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ann7. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for joining this exhilarating live-action project.

I've installed quite a few ponds in schools, and safety is always our priority. Our go-to for excluding children from the water are our mesh products. They are also great if you include fish to stop birds from getting at them. You can use the more flexible varieties of mesh in shallow ponds, but if it is a deep pond, I'd suggest a framed version. Any aesthetics compromised from the installation of mesh are far outweighed by the peace of mind knowing little ones can't fall in. Also, check with your local council as once a pond reaches a certain size and depth, it might require additional safety precautions.

Even for ponds that are 30cm or less deep, I'd still recommend installing a mesh. Rocks and pebbles can be added around the perimeter to disguise the edges, and plants in the middle also break up the impact.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your project and following along. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Prawns,

I don't think I've ever been more excited about a pond installation before! Thanks for the play-by-play.

A slightly overhanging Merbau deck/platform surrounded on the other sides by pebbles and bush rock would look fabulous. One of those wide blade type water features you see in pools would be awesome coming out from under the overhang of the platform. If the platform were just large enough for a 3pc setting, that would be the icing on the cake. Perfect for morning coffees and a read of the newspaper.

Mitchell

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Well the ponds full :smile:  So now onto all the other stuff like pebbles etc and a deck eventually most likely - I showed my wife your post Mitchell and she agrees your description sounds like a great idea with the deck etc. Its a "slow burner" job though so from here things will definatly slow down alot as I'll have to save for a deck now and works a bit "here n there" at the moment with covid (it will get there though hahahaha)  Oh yeah - I will have to get some fish as well I still havnt figured out what to stock it with yet hahahha.  Im happy with how fast it progressed this morning though - Reckon I'll take a break now though I been digging for hours hahahahha20210904_115412.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's been a thrilling ride, @Prawns; many thanks for taking us on it!

I can't wait to see the finished result. Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects