Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Space-themed garden plantings

Jamespeter100
Making a Splash

Space-themed garden plantings

Space themed plantings. 

E5F67BED-F43C-4299-9824-963F97E6C6A3.jpeg

Two large hanging baskets joined.  I see 45cm wide baskets now available.  These baskets are sitting on top of ridged pots. Not actually hanging.  The red planet has three one litre containers inside, with holes.

058E1C2F-8EE2-479F-BF50-2F0969AA1281.jpeg

 With Pansies last year. 

image.jpg

 A single tray for the marble planet. For the red planet, used lettuce and strawberries.

will add more pictures as they grow. 

A picture to show the three bottle with holes. One of the issues, with quick watering of a pot plant, or a sphere, is getting the water to soak down a distance. Hence some soft drink bottles. These match up with the top. The potting mix was mounded up around the soft drink bottles, then the top put on. Zip ties from Bunnings were used. UV stabilised. The Scott’s potting mix from Bunnings was used. 
Notice the larger hole drilled near the top, and smaller ones near the bottom. To work out the volume of potting mix, I used the formula for the volume of a sphere. To get Pi on an  iPhone, rock it over. Pi day was March 14. (4/3)*pi*r^3. So a radius of 20cm comes out at 33litres. Take off a few for the volume of the bottles.  The blue is a plastic sheet that used when painting inside walls. 

5072F66E-5D68-40DD-8F88-7F00352C1169.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Space-themed garden plantings

Hi @Jamespeter100

Thank you so much for sharing your space-themed garden plants. That's a really creative way to display the flowers. I was wondering how you created the planets. Did you just zip tie them together or did you use galvanized wire? Where did you get the spaceships? Did you 3D print them? They totally compliment your plant planet. 

Again, thanks for sharing your space-themed garden project, we look forward to seeing your next creation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

People are often selling Star Wars items on f/b market place. Just have to keep an eye out. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Jamespeter100,

Another brilliant creative creation! 

I am looking forward to seeing how the plants grow. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I forgot to say Jupiter the giant gas planet  has been done with Coleus. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects