Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spring gardening tips

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Spring gardening tips

Spring is in the air and officially only a few days away. It’s time to head out into your backyard to see what needs some attention before the season begins. Now is a great time to ensure that everything is prepared so you’ll get a head start on the growing season.

Back to the shed

Inspect all of your tools looking for any damage from the previous season and check that they are in good working order. Sharpen those blades, oil the hinges and consider whether you need any upgrades or would like to expand your collection. Tools in great condition make easy work of tough jobs.

Clear out those beds

Ensure you establish a clean slate. Remove all weeds and debris from your growing areas back down to bare soil. It’s a great idea to use this opportunity to apply compost, manure and a thick layer of Sugarcane or Lucerne mulch. Your main concern should be removing any weeds that have survived the winter. If they are not removed now then they will flourish and compete for nutrients with your herbs and vegetables.

Get out the clippers

Early spring is the perfect time to prune woody ornamentals. This establishes their form for the season. Start by pruning off anything that is damaged, unsightly or that has died back. Some plants you should not prune this time of year and they include Camelia, Rhododendron, Azalea and Hydrangeas. They bloom on old wood and it’s best to wait until they have finished flowering.

Start planting

It’s great to get a head start on planting for spring. As soon as the last frost is over you can get those plants in the ground. But don’t let that stop you from propagating now as many plants can be started indoors and then moved outside.

I’m looking forward to planting a few varieties of heirloom tomatoes, chillies and some pumpkins which I’ve never grown before. Currently I have lettuce, carrots, snow peas and onions which are all doing fantastic.

What do you plan on growing this spring? Have you already started your preparation? Do you have any tips to share with the community?

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and I trust our gardening experts would be more than happy to share their knowledge.

Happy gardening!

Mitchell

Spring.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Spring gardening tips

Spring is beckoning again! I can't wait for some solid days of sunshine after a long winter.

What is everyone planning on growing in their gardens this spring? Would love to hear updates and see photos of your gardens.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects