Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Still missing something

TryingTerri
Getting Established

Still missing something

I’ve had to move into a house with a small garden (from acreage!) and, with Bunnings products, am trying to make the best of it. Single old lady on a budget. 
So far, I have used Jet concrete paint, moved some useless bricks and put in 5 colourbond raised beds ( only $20 each!)

i have taken delivery of some matrix fence extensions  and will be

2B04A8B1-5876-4FCD-BD4C-6CD9AB52CCFE.jpeg

having cat net cover the whole area. 
but it still looks so uninviting.  I have purchased a retractable hose too!!! Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

image.jpg

TryingTerri
Getting Established

Re: Still missing something

Ps. The ground/ grass area looks like that as it’s where a curved brick border was situated. 

AC66471C-6A7A-408E-A0D0-6D0E7811B0FE.png

Grub80
Making a Splash

Hi @TryingTerri, great start to your new garden. It’s very hard when you start afresh, and on a limited budget. Don’t be afraid of looking I local op shops for garden bits, you never know what you can find. My local Bunnings store had rugs marked down, some soft furnishings, a coir mat, and a small table. Good luck with your plantings 👍

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@TryingTerri a little 3 PC setting and some palms in pots and the concrete slabbed area will come up a treat.

Perhaps a budget cantilever umbrella for some shade there too. You're on the right track!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you. I never considered op shops to have gardening accessories. I’ll give them a try. 

Thank you. I’ve now got an awning for over the window, to provide some shade. Then I won’t have to struggle with, for example, an umbrella.  
I’m going to use the OP suggestion and check out some charity shops too. 

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Hi @TryingTerri,

I agree with the consensus on your other post that you should paint the fence. I'd also encourage you to look for low-cost plants. You might be able to get cuttings from friends, family and neighbours, check out the bargain bin at Bunnings, etc. Lots of plants would help soften the space. 

You might also be able to get some cheap outdoor furniture, particularly if you are prepared to restore it yourself. Look for something that's solid timber that you can sand back and restain or repaint, add some cheap cushions, etc.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects