Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for fast-growing tree for privacy?

curo123
Growing in Experience

Suggestions for fast-growing tree for privacy?

I have a yucca tree that's leaning on it's side. This needs to be removed. I have new neighbours, that have removed the majority of their trees, so there's no privacy. Is there a fast growing tree to replace the yucca tree? It can't be too narrow, like a pencil pine tree, but not too wide either as this will push against the camellia beside it. 

I'm also looking for a shrub that grows up to 2 metres to fill in the area where the pony palm is in the photos.

I hope you can help.

Thank you.

Backyard 1.jpgBackyard 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor tree choices

Hi @curo123,

You might like to consider a Japanese Maple, Lilly pilly, Murraya, Photinia, Melaleuca and Magnolia grandiflora as screening plants. Seasonal pruning of any of these will keep them in check.

Are you looking for a feature shrub to replace the pony palm? There are a ton of options to choose from. I'm a great fan of weeping cherries. Your selection likely has a lot to do with personal preference, though.

You might like to build yourself a timber screen for some immediate privacy. The step-by-step guide will be useful: How to build timber screening. Another great article is How to create privacy by planting. We also have many convenient screening options.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
curo123
Growing in Experience

So, these would be the best to replace the yucca tree as pictured?  I don't want the the tree to lean against the Camelia tree. Is the Japanese maple,Lilly pilly, Muraya, Photinia, Melaleuca and Magnolia Tree, fast growing ? I need the width to be not so wide also.Backyard 3.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

They are all considered relatively fast-growing and suitable as screening plants @curo123. They don't tend to lean, though you'll need to trim them to encourage upward growth and prevent them from encroaching on the Camellia. Apart from your suggestion of Pencil Pines, there are not too many other options for screening plants that purely grow straight upwards. Perhaps you could plant a few Pencil Pines to fill the space? Other options that are more inclined to push up than out would be Pyrus calleryanaBanksia integrifoliaSyzygium australe and Acmena smithii

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects