Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions wanted to improve garden feature

kingj
Growing in Experience

Suggestions wanted to improve garden feature

Need suggestions how to improve the look ..

It wasnt like this before, but the plant was almost dead and the feature broke

nownow

beforebefore

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestion for Garden feature

Hi @kingj,

That appears to be a very hot and dry location for a garden. In summer, the surrounding bricks will absorb and radiate an incredible amount of heat. If those plants were growing there quite happily for many years, what's changed? Are you still watering the area as much as you were before? If you need a few tips on watering techniques @Adam_W has put together a fantastic guide on How to water your garden.  

What would you like to achieve with this space? Did you want to replant and install a new water feature? Plantwise, you might like to consider options like Seaside Daisy, Cat MintSalvia Nermorosa and Penstemon. It would also be worth checking out our range of succulents and cacti. As these plants are resilient to hot and dry conditions, you'll have the best chance of keeping them alive. For the water feature, you could consider following this step-by-step guide: How to create a pond in a pot.

It appears like your soil is pretty spent and devoid of organic material. It would help if you replaced some of it with quality garden soil. A premium garden soil will assist with retaining moisture and feeding your plants. This article goes into more detail: How to determine soil health

We'll be keen to hear more about what you'd like to do with this space. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Suggestions wanted to improve garden feature

Hi @kingj . As @MitchellMc said, that looks like a hot, dry area with exhausted soil that you will want to replace with bags of nice, fresh garden soil. 

If you don't want to be watering constantly, that spot is best suited to desert succulents like the ones that were there originally. They are accustomed to the heat and they store water inside themselves so they can survive for a long time when it's hot and dry. 

The green, leafy ones in the "before" pic are Agave attenuata, which you can find easily, and the purple stalky ones are possibly some kind of Aeonium. There are plenty of other tough, sun-hardy succulents that would look good there as well.

Cheers,

Brad

kingj
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc & @BradN for the suggestions.

Yes since the existing Agave almost covered the entire space and I had no idea on the soil condition beneath it, its connected with a retic also but now I am not sure whether that was working or not. I removed it since it look to be dying and a bit dried up as you can see from the photo attached.

plant.jpg

The pond feature looks good, Can I fix my existing one which broke into half, ppp.jpg

for the time being I have planted the agaves back

,pl.jpg

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @kingj . Those Agaves will grow back fine if you want them to. They are only looking a bit yellow now because they are not getting enough nutrients from that tired old soil. (The lower leaves naturally shrivel, brown and fall off as part of the plant's growth process, so don't worry about that). 

If I was you I would dig out all the old soil from that area and replace it with fresh bags of garden soil (not potting mix, which is only for potted plants). I would then scatter and mix through some some slow-release succulent fertilser and then replant the Agaves and/or whatever other succulents you want to put in there. The Agaves will green up nicely once they are in good soil again.

You don't have to use succulents, of course, but if you don't use succulents you will have to water much more often, and non-succulent plants are more likely to get wilted, burned and brown in that hot spot in summer. 

Cheers,

Brad

kingj
Growing in Experience

Thanks @BradN 

Other than succulents, what other plants would look green throughout the year and suit this!

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @kingj . What does your local council use for landscaping, traffic islands, roundabouts, etc? Councils tend to use tough, low-maintenance, low-water plants that are best suited to your area. You can take pictures of the ones you like and bring them in to a local garden centre and the staff will probably be able to identify them and supply them. Rhaphiolepis are tough little flowering shrubs that won't get too big in that area. You could underplant a shrub like that with Gazanias, which are tough little plants with daisy-like flowers, or with Liriopes, Mondo grass, Zoysia grass. There are plenty of options. 

Whereabouts do you live? A lot depends on your climate, but that spot is pretty brutal in any case...

Cheers,

Brad 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd suggest that the pond feature is beyond repair @kingj. It's cracked right through the middle, and even if you could glue it back together, the weight of the water in the bowl will be putting a great deal of stress on the crack. The repair will likely fail. If you want to attempt a repair, you could try using Sika 300ml Black Sikaflex 11FC Plus Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant.

It's excellent that @BradN has been offering advice and has confirmed my thoughts that the soil looks spent. Get some new soil in there and then re-plant. I'm sure you'll see some improvement.

Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects