Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tamarillo plant issues

psitoula
Getting Established

Tamarillo plant issues

Hi All,

Just discovered this wonderful community. I am newbie when it comes to gardening.

I had a tamarillo plant, it doesn't seem to be doing well, at first I thought it was just cold weather but the leaves are not looking healthy.

I have read this thread, it does look similar but mine has brown edges around the leaves as well. 

Could anyone be able to help on what the possible cause could be?PXL_20211013_023435587.jpgPXL_20211013_030009913.jpgPXL_20211013_030014318.jpgPXL_20211013_023432193.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tamarillo plant issues

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @psitoula. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Tamarillo plant.

I'm afraid that my conclusions about your Tamarillo are pretty much the same as the thread that you've read. In order to make an in-depth diagnosis would it be possible for you to post a clear photo of the bottom of the leaves and the trunk of the plant? How old is the plant? Are the plants around it experiencing the same problem such as brown tipped leaves, caterpillar eating patterns? We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
psitoula
Getting Established

Thank you Eric,

Here are some more photos of the plant. 

I bought the plant from bunnings around in Feb this year, but repotted it on the garden bed in June. It almost had died during the winter.

I haven't seen any caterpillars in the leaves, the brown yellow spots do not seem to be the caterpillar eating patterns. The edge of some leaves however are turning brown.

I don't have any big plants around, but there is cauliflower nearby, doesn't have any issues.

PXL_20211013_211505433.jpgPXL_20211013_211451453.jpgPXL_20211013_211414036.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20211013_210642638.jpgPXL_20211013_210713809.jpgPXL_20211013_210653852.jpgPXL_20211013_210711808.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for sharing these pictures @psitoula.

Let me tag @Noelle to see if she can share any suggestions.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @psitoula 

I would agree with Eric that the info in the thread you are following is probably right re potential diagnoses of pests and/or fungal problems.

The only other suggestion I could add is that perhaps the soil is too moist?  While tamarillos like moisture, they won't tolerate "wet feet" - that is, soil that is constantly moist around their roots.  The soil should drain freely after watering or rains. It looks like the bed you have it growing in is lined, which may prevent excess moisture from soaking deep into the soil beyond the roots.

psitoula
Getting Established

Thanks @Noelle 

I will defnintely keep that in mind.

For now, I will use the sulphur based spray and monitor the moisture of the soil and will update the progress.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects