Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The cacti obsession is real

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

The cacti obsession is real

My obsession with cacti and succulents hasn't wavered and I'm struggling to get my hands on some of the rarities I desire. Here are a few of my mates.

20190716_171050.jpg 20190721_125816.jpg 20190728_112429.jpg 20190728_165820.jpg 20190729_172501.jpg 20190729_172601.jpg

Are there any Perth/WA members here that can recommend good/secret suppliers in WA? I've got a few good spots but I'm always looking for more :smile: with a particular interest in the rare and exotic.

I'm also after some large and healthy cacti for my pool area. I have large San Pedro and would like some blue variety as well as another large Candelabra and a Saguaro if possible.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: The cacti obsession is real

Got these beauties - add "Dragon tree obsession" to the list too now 🤣

20191020_181332.jpgIMG-20191021-WA0001.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
robyn2202
Cultivating a Following

Wow, I hope you don't have children around your home.

A few months ago A Current Affair did a segment on "plants that kill our children" and Yukkas were top of the list.

I admire your love of succulents, I know they can be very pretty when in flower.

But please be careful if children are around.

Newbies

20191103_173805.jpg

And woke up to this lovely flower. About 15 others on this specimen so will share when they're all in bloom.

20191106_070750.jpg

Also picked up a nice sized Blue Barrel. In the process of finding him the right pot.

----------
Handy and helpful

This beauty just keeps on flowering. Another 9 in total and managed to capture these 4 in simultaneous bloom. 

20191112_070542.jpg

20191107_210551.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Nice Crest cacti which my kids have named "Cuddles"

20191120_060605.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Some progress shots of my beloved cacti showing some pretty serious growth in less than a year.

The second two have been brewing in their pots, ready for my cacti feature garden in my pool area. I've done one side with long lying succulents and one end of the pool will have some tall and rare cacti on show.

Approx 70mm plus a new arm

Lil man1.PNGLil man2.jpg

Approx 250mm with decent gains on its arms.

Monstruous1.PNGMonstruous2.jpg

About 2000mm of cumulative growths with new arms and plenty of health coming out of this cowboy.

Cowboy1.jpgCowboy2.jpg

My latest San Pedro cuttings. Very healthy. 3m worth of cuttings with girth averaging 270mm, peaking around 350mm.

SP cuttings.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Some great progress there @ProjectPete

You've got me rummaging around my garden beds pulling out all my cacti to create a little garden. I'm a big fan of how easily cacti propagate and I think I'll look at purchasing some more varieties. The only issue I have is little hands in the garden, I'll have to isolate them from my daughter.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

My dragon tree is branching out finally. I feel like a proud parent!

IMG_6557.jpgIMG_6559.jpg

LiRey85
Getting Established

please tell me you found some secret suppliers. We are obsessed and recently ripped apart our entire front yard to restart with a drought friendly cacti/succulent garden. We live on half an acre so have plenty of room for these beauties but are struggling to find decent sized mature varieties also. please if you have any secret contacts it would be greatly appreciated. we have had some luck on marketplace and the cactus grower in henley brook but other than that have struggled. thanks.

LiRey85
Getting Established

883C41EB-ED0B-4FF2-95AE-4AE5C6E4F2EC.jpeg

B4BFB22D-8BDF-425C-8645-180BCC7738A3.jpeg

   

B3139D8B-DC18-49CD-AF7C-AF8427880581.jpeg

Also a few of our babies. we have a lot more. feel free to follow our obsession on insta: cactopia&crew

87FAC646-06A2-4FF8-85C8-7181C05A5D49.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects