Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for growing passionfruit

RosieW
Having an Impact

Tips for growing passionfruit

Passionfruit_flower07.jpg

I would really love to get a passionfruit going, but haven't had much success. I know they're heavy feeders so i prepared the soil thoroughly.

First one I planted about 7 years ago, died (I don't think it got enough sun). But the root stock is STILL popping up all over the place!

I tried again late last year - this time in its own garden bed in a sunny spot (to keep my dog out mainly) - again lots of compost, sheep manure. It died too.

The horticulturalist at Bunnings said it sounded like too much or too little water.  

I'd love to hear if others have had this happen to them too and any stories about what they do for happy healthy passionfruit.

Edmund58558
Finding My Feet

Re: Tips for growing passionfruit

I made the ground ready with plenty of grass cuttings and fuirtlizer and put up a bug  house  and plenty of water for the bugs .plenty of water just to keep the ground wet not  drowning the plant 

Chris6
Just Starting Out

Maybe  you should go for non grafted black passion fruit , only lasts for four years,prolific fruiting though

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your knowledge @Chris6. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden, or have something to share. We have an amazing community with members sharing helpful information, advice and inspiration on the site every day. And please don't hesitate to let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RosieW
Having an Impact

Thanks - I’ll give it a go. And I think I have a better place for it to grow, more sun less competition!  Thanks all x

pjturner2008
Cultivating a Following

RosieW... You are not alone in having difficulty with growing passionfruit. I am in Brisbane, supposedly the best climate for them, but I did all of the right things and they still failed. I had a light well drained soil with added compost. I placed the plant in at the same height as it was in the pot and in a position that got 6 hours of sunlight per day. I spread a little organic fertilizer (for fruit trees), keeping it away from the trunk of the vine. I got lots of green growth but in 3 years not even a single flower let alone any fruit. I assume it was getting too much nitrogen from somewhere but I had used a fertilizer higher in phosphorous and potassium so who knows. I tried again at my community garden and just did what my father had done. He always placed a couple of fish heads in the planting hole, covered them with 6 inches of soil and planted the vine on top of this. Voila, success!!!! Give it a go.

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Hello @RosieW  I know this article is over two year old now, but such and interesting subject,  one I'm interested to hear how you got on,  as I have been in similar situations over the years. I 1st tried growing a passion fruit over 25 years ago in Tamworth, I wasn't going to bad, till the winter hit and frosts took care of that plant and I didn't really bother after that as I didn't have an area that would protect it during the winter.  Then I moved to the Mid North Coast and had another go at growing passion fruit and wow, it just took off and no frosts, or very minimal frosts and it was protected between two well established mandarin trees.  That vine was still going strong 8 years on and as thick as my arm.  Each year I gave it a big hair cut as it was overtaking the mandarin trees..  Now I have moved again Dubbo area this time and taking into consideration we get such savage heat and frosts.  I planted one over a year ago, under the eave of a pergola between the rain water tanks.  I covered it up well through last winter and it survived.  I now have shade cloth around the pergola and the vine is under this and still alive and growing like mad.  I'm hoping it goes well over this winter as it's now too big to cover all of it up. 

I will continue to cover the base of the plant each night as I did last year during Winter. I've also purchased another one to put down the other end of the pergola  ~ So wish me luck.

This old gal  :smile:

topper
Building a Reputation

Let's keep the old topic alive. How did everyone's attempts go?

I'm trying this year, need to buy the soil and manure and stuff tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend any products for planting in the Canberra region?

I have the blackest of thumbs.

before  i planted the passionfruit (in area where it get lots of sun)  I first dug two deep holes each 60cm  away from where i intended to plant the passion fruit   eg  0.....o.......0  So the passion fruit is middle  o @ left.

The surrounding soil is very easy to work and has had LOTS  of gypsum and compost over the years to make it very easy to work.

Then I ordered two Large Bull's  livers from the  butcher.  The two holes  = 0 in the  diagram were 60cm deep.  Dropped one  intact bull liver  into each hole. topped each hole with 20cm of sheep manure. Then covered the  rest with the surrounding soil  and covered the lot with pea straw. 

Purchased a small "Nelly Kelly"  passion fruit for the central hole.  Did not add anything additional to the planting hole.

Thrived  ever since.  leaves  are always  very green

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@topper,

I'd recommend investing in a good quality soil like Scotts Osmocote 25L Garden Soil Premium Planting Mix and a controlled-release fertiliser like Scotts Osmocote 500g Citrus Fruit Controlled-release Fertiliser is also a must. If you run into a clay layer when digging, that really need to be addressed, you don't want to plant directly on top of it as you'll end up with a passionfruit with roots that are constantly wet.

We look forward to hearing how you go and it would be great to see some pictures of your plants once complete.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@SuzieA,

It's great to hear your liver trick and method is still producing results. It would be great to see some pictures of your plants once the growing season really hits.

Many thanks for your contribution I trust our members find it helpful.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects