Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for growing passionfruit

RosieW
Having an Impact

Tips for growing passionfruit

Passionfruit_flower07.jpg

I would really love to get a passionfruit going, but haven't had much success. I know they're heavy feeders so i prepared the soil thoroughly.

First one I planted about 7 years ago, died (I don't think it got enough sun). But the root stock is STILL popping up all over the place!

I tried again late last year - this time in its own garden bed in a sunny spot (to keep my dog out mainly) - again lots of compost, sheep manure. It died too.

The horticulturalist at Bunnings said it sounded like too much or too little water.  

I'd love to hear if others have had this happen to them too and any stories about what they do for happy healthy passionfruit.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: No luck with passionfruit

Hi @JadeS,

Lemons are often grafted to Flying Dragon Citrus trifoliata, which is selected for its vigour, pest and disease resistance, and heat and drought tolerance. They were largely regarded as rubbish thorny citrus, filled will huge seeds and serving no real purpose until the late 1800's when it was discovered they made perfect hosts. What the less seeded and juicier varieties lacked in resilience it made up for, and now you'll find just about every citrus grafted to rootstock.

Make sure you cut the shoots off as soon as you see them, close to the trunk, with sharp scissors or secateurs. If you snap them off, it can encourage more to grow. Generally, after the first few years, they will stop shooting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JadeS
Growing in Experience

Thankyou so much Mitchell,  you're a wealth of information!

jocdave
Getting Established

Hi Adam

I am a newcomer and am so worried about my passionfruit vine.  I live on NSW mid north coast near Port Macquarie.  My vine is loaded with fruit but in the last couple of weeks the fruit has decided to shrivel and not ripen and fall off the vine.  I have previously fed it chook poo and blood and bone and watered about every second day.  Can I save this vine?????  Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jocdave. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about your passionfruit vine.

Could you post a few photos of your plant and the fruit that are about to drop and those that have already fallen? Once our members see them, they'll be better informed and able to offer helpful solutions. Let me mention @Adam_W and @Noelle, so they are alerted to your question.

An under-watered and stressed vine would drop its fruit. It's best to do a deep watering regularly. Say, twice a week in Spring or three a week in Summer. Keep your watering to the base of the plant and not on the leaves. Although you're watering every other day, the water might not get down to where it's needed. When the fruit is reaching maturity, the plant's water requirements ramp up, and deep 15min waterings are required.

Have you had any issues with fruit flies? Any fruit stung by fruit flies will shrivel and drop from the vine. You can use Yates 200ml Nature's Way Fruit Fly Control if you think it might be fruit flies. However, applying now could be a bit late if the fruit has already been stung.

Are there any brown spots on the fruit before them dropping? This could indicate a fungal disease.

The last issue I can think of would be a lack of trace elements. You could consider adding some or switching to a complete fertiliser like Osmocote Fruit and Citrus.

I look forward to seeing those images, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jocdave,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We are looking forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need a hand as we have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

Do you need a hand uploading some photos as per Mitch's helpful reply. Please let me know if you need assistance as we'd love to help further with your passionfruit.

Jason

20221116_110311.jpg20221116_110334.jpg20221116_110340.jpgHi Mitch

Thank you for your very good advice.  I have taken some pics to show you.  I am so heartbroken over this vine as we all love passionfruit so much in this family and now it looks like I won't have any for Christmas.  Going by the pics, do you think I need to pull it out and start again?  I hope it can be saved but if that is my only option.  I will await your excellent advice.

Kind regards

Jocdave 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jocdave,

Those yellow spots on the fruit appeared to be caused by Septoria passiflorae. Spots appear on leaves, stems and fruits. The disease begins as small light brown spots which develop into larger patches, eventually covering most of the surface area. While the pulp is edible, it may ripen unevenly. Yates 250g Leaf Curl Spray can be used to control this disease at first signs.  

Unfortunately, it might be too late for this plant. You can continue to provide deep watering at the base of the plant to ensure it's getting adequate water, and you might still get a small crop from the plant. It would be best to remove all those dead leaves from the vine and clean up the fallen material on the ground. This material should be binned and not placed on a compost heap. You don't necessarily need to remove the plant, but diseased material needs to be removed at the end of the season, and the plant should be treated with the leaf curl spray.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :sad:

Mitchell

Thank you so much Mitchell, I am going to try the leaf curl spray and at the end of the season cut it back and see what happens.

I can't thank you enough, I just didn't know what to do.

Kind regards

JocDave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects