Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for growing passionfruit

RosieW
Having an Impact

Tips for growing passionfruit

Passionfruit_flower07.jpg

I would really love to get a passionfruit going, but haven't had much success. I know they're heavy feeders so i prepared the soil thoroughly.

First one I planted about 7 years ago, died (I don't think it got enough sun). But the root stock is STILL popping up all over the place!

I tried again late last year - this time in its own garden bed in a sunny spot (to keep my dog out mainly) - again lots of compost, sheep manure. It died too.

The horticulturalist at Bunnings said it sounded like too much or too little water.  

I'd love to hear if others have had this happen to them too and any stories about what they do for happy healthy passionfruit.

Re: Tips for growing passionfruit

G'day @topper.

I'm all for keeping a topic like this alive. 👍

I moved my very sad and young potted passion fruit to a huge black plastic pot late last year I think it was.

Reason for that is that I've had problems with suckers in the past, so I hope to keep that at bay in a large pot above ground.

That is now at a wire dividing fence in the back yard in full sun and I'm planning to build a wood planter box around that tub to make it look better and to keep the direct heat off the pot.

The plant really came to life in Autumn and grew about 20 or so fruit. Pretty sure I  used the fertiliser that @MitchellMc linked to if I remember correctly. EDIT -  I hand pollinated the flowers as they opened up.

Even though I covered it in plastic during winter, it dropped most of the fruit and the outer branches and leaves had a lot of cold damage from our many frosts.

I really like the position, so next year, I'll make and fit a removable fabric cover for those sub zero nights.

@SuzieA, I'm planning on a second plant and I'll give that liver tip a go.

topper
Building a Reputation

I think I'm going to come in to that clay issue.

@topper,

Please let us know how you go. I'm sure with all the knowledgable members posting in this thread we can brainstorm together and come up with a solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JadeS
Growing in Experience

Re: No luck with passionfruit

The most prolific passionfruit vine I’ve seen grew in full sun, untouched and in deep rich red volcanic soil, but then I think us kids grew in it too. I planted my seedling in a shallow rocky garden bed and mulch only as I’m new to gardening and haven’t got a clue but learning and it’s going gangbusters...in spite of me

54A1B172-65B2-455A-A636-1FFAC74F39B3.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community @JadeS. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

It's great to hear you've had success with your passionfruit and it certainly sounds like you have a green thumb there.

We look forward to hearing more about the projects and plans you have for around the house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our talented members are posting their creative projects here all the time.

Mitchell

JadeS
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, 

thanks so much for your email, it’s a little very welcome. I’m new to gardening, I used to hate it with a passion as it seemed plants wilted at the mere sight of me and I became the butt of plant jokes in the family (which I’ll never live down until I grow a giant beanstalk that produces gold bullion beans however, I did plant in my huge decorative teal it’s, lemon and lime trees, and I only noticed today, along with baby lemons or limes I’ve forgotten which is which a spiky parasite of a plant attached to the stem/trunk (?) and another growing at base, which I’d thought was a little offshoot. I’ve attached pics, I think I need to remove it yes? Can you advise me on this leach? He a chameleon too, blends right in. And should I prune them back to encourage branches at base, they’re getting lanky? 

Many thanks, Jade

383E9168-373C-4775-ADB9-F2C1A6F2F551.jpeg

AB3A0631-1355-4A17-BF3B-E341C1375F14.jpeg

A279B9A0-7C37-40F0-8273-63CADB0BC389.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JadeS,

You need to cut those shoots off the base. Any shoots that appear from the ground or below the blue line need to be removed. This includes the two chameleons. Your plant is grafted onto a rootstock which is commonly done with citrus to help them grow better. The rootstock will sometimes try to grow itself sending out shoots and these need to be removed. You can remove these now.

The best time to prune the plant is in early spring before buds break and the tree is still dormant. It might be worth leaving your pruning till the end of the season now.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

How is everyone going with their passion fruit?

I've been giving mine liquid Seasol roughly every 3 weeks and keeping it watered and it is producing a lot of flowers and some rather nice sized fruit.

It's still a young plant and not  that big really, but it's looking so healthy.

I think I'll keep the water and Seasol routine going while it's fruiting and see how things turn out.

Hopefully the dogs don't see them as green tennis balls and decide to take off with them. 😁

20201128_070504[1].jpg20201128_070543[1].jpg20201128_070618[1].jpg

For sure @JadeS  as  @MitchellMc  said you have to cut anything coming off the trunk under a certain height, BUT most importantly anything below the graft, even feel around under the mulch as sometimes they shoot real low. 

This old gal

JadeS
Growing in Experience

Thankyou for your reply Mitchel, I did cut the root sticks off, but damn they’re resilient & determined little suckers aren’t they! I’ve lobbed off three that grew back where I removed 1 previously... my query is what type of plant the citrus is grafted to (the name of plant these root sticks derive)?

regards and thanks

47D182F0-EEA2-4A32-9040-9AEDCC27D0B8.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects