Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tomatoes - so much choice

3012paul
Just Starting Out

Tomatoes - so much choice

There is so many different tomatoes to choose from - what do you rate the best for salads ??:bigsmile:

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Tomatoes - so much choice

Where are you based @3012paul? And where do you plan on growing them - in a pot, in a vegetable garden, on a balcony? And most importantly, what types of tomatoes do you most like to eat?

CathD
Making a Splash

I like Roma for salads. It's also pretty easy to grow as its a smaller plant that can be grown in pots and doesn't tend to need as much staking. 

As an all-rounder, I'd look at Grosse Lisse.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Have a look at Tommy Toe - https://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-fothergill-s-tommy-toe-tomato-heirloom-seeds_p2960670

Ideal for salads and considered the best tasting tomato according to the Gourmet Taste Test in Victoria.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel, I like the sound of those Tommy Toes, I must give them a try. :smile:

I've had success with Cherry Tomatoes (the shrub version) in grow bags, but these in the link below could be a great starting point for those new to growing their own, or with limited space:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-fothergill-s-tiny-tom-tomato-container-seeds_p2960548

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see plenty of helpful suggestions.

Please let us know what you choose @3012paul. We'd also love to shots of your harvest down the track!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

I've now got my tomatoes in, along with some carrots and cucumber. 

On my window sill - hopefully the start of something delicious!

tomatoes.jpg

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

I should have also mentioned @3012paul that its a good idea to plant a few at a time over the next month so you get a continuous supply of fruit over summer and early autumn rather than all at once. 

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

My top tip is to ensure you water evenly, otherwise the fruit can split just as its about to ripen. It can happen when there's a dry period, and then heavy rain, which is common in summer so you do need to hand water regularly. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects