Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

VegBed raised garden beds

Nham
Becoming a Leader

VegBed raised garden beds

20210904_103715.jpeg

It's springtime and we decided to get some raised garden beds. But first, we had to dismantle the kids' cubby house which provided years of fun. We didn't want to throw away the wood and posted the cubby on FB marketplace for free. It went to another good home:-)

My wife really liked the raised single-piece garden beds and after google searches, we settled on the VegBed. This is a single colourbond piece garden bed made locally and I have to say really good quality. You can order different sizes and colours to suit your budget and personal taste. We decided on the 800mm (H), 900mm (W) and 2500mm (L).

Each bed had to be filled with 1.5 cubic metres of garden mix and mulched with sugarcane. We got the seeds from Bunnings as they grow really well. The shoots are just sprouting and will post a followup when the veggies are ready to be harvested.

Tips: 

• Measure out the area before you order your garden beds. They are bigger than you realised.
  • We didn't have a level surface, so levelling out the beds was important. 
  • Position the beds with all day sun. When these are filled they will not move.
  • Order the garden mix in bulk, left overs can go into the garden

20210904_103418.jpeg20210902_165400.jpeg20210902_165431 2.jpeg20210816_135045.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: VegBed raised garden beds

These look terrific @Nham, many thanks for sharing. Raised garden bed projects are always terrifically popular with the Bunnings Workshop community, especially at this time of year when everyone is starting to get back into the garden and thinking about what to grow over summer.

Thanks again, please keep us updated with your crops. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sensational work, @Nham! I'm sure you'll see a bountiful harvest this season. What are you planting?

Many thanks for adding the tips, as I trust any of our members considering a similar project will appreciate them.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these beds produce for you.

Mitchell

LettuceLettuceMixed Asian VeggiesMixed Asian Veggies

Just a update @MitchellMc, seeded a month ago and the veggies are coming along fine. If anyone is interested, we planted Choy Sum and Country Value All Year Lettuce.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nham

Those look so yummy and beautiful! Thank you so much for the update and the setup tips. I'm sure it will come in handy for those who are thinking of setting up their own veggie patch.  I can just imagine the Choy Sum in a quick stir fry with garlic sauce. Just thinking about it is already making me hungry! It's just so good when you can grow your own produce. Did you have any trouble with insects and vermin? Did you cover your plants while they were growing? Any other tips you can share about growing the vegetables would be much appreciated.

We look forward to your next update and seeing your next harvest.

Eric

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @EricL ,

We harvested all of the Choy Sum but did notice some insects at the top of the stalks near the flowers. I think they look like Aphids but not sure, I took some photos with my phone camera in case you know what they are. Anyhow, we didn't want to treat with any pesticides just to see how it would go. There were a few caterpillars and the odd snail eating the lettuce but nothing too serious.

20211110_083215.jpeg20211110_083318.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nham

Thank you for posting those updates. One way to lower your aphid population is to spray your plants with soapy water. If you have any other projects on the go please don't hesitate to share them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Again, thanks for the update.

Eric 

Learner21
Just Starting Out

Hi

You mentioned 'garden mix'. Where did you get this from? I filled my raised garden bed with soil and grass is growing in there now with my strawberries which is a disappointment.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Learner21,

Let me mention @Nham, so he is alerted to your question. I suspect the garden mix he's talking about would be these bulk quantity products. Our gardening expert @Noelle has a couple of fantastic guides on How to fill a raised garden bed and How to choose the right soil for your plants that you should find useful.

Where did the soil come from that you filled your raised garden bed with?

Mitchell

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Learner21 ,

We bought the garden mix in bulk quantities from a local supplier. Any garden centre should be able to deliver straight to your door.  For drainage, we fill the bottom with rocks or pebbles and this works well. Our garden beds also have grass and we just pull them out. Good luck with the strawberries. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects