Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Veggie project 2 - Wine barrels as garden planters

LisasGarden
Making a Splash

Veggie project 2 - Wine barrels as garden planters

The next step after having the small raised beds was to get 4  half wine barrels. I set them up end January and  the seedlings grew very quickly. All from Bunnings and compost  from my Maze Barrel composter. I also planted a couple of Citrus snd 2 Crepe Myrtles in them that I picked up on clearance, perfect. I decided I needed a fifth for the other corner and have planted my dwarf fig and dome purple cauliflower. In all of the barrels I have planted one bee attracting herb. 

3D0C4984-C52D-4778-AF30-4A6DDB7684C9.jpeg

 

5866F9FA-B798-4065-A017-573905584444.jpeg

 

2559AC8E-983F-4ECD-B56A-FAF3D3A03857.jpeg

 

C2CE1B8D-A800-41FB-B9EF-465B30F811CF.jpeg

 

24A38050-51D8-4EB1-A407-C514F1335D8F.jpeg

 

F8013701-7711-42D8-AEF1-EFBED15D3EF2.jpeg

 

6542ED3D-5FF8-46B6-8925-BA6FD1BBD6B8.jpeg

 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Veggie Project 2- Wine Barrels

Those look amazing @LisasGarden! I love the whole ambience you've created around those grapevines. You could be in the courtyard of a quaint villa somewhere in the Mediterranean region.

I have one of those half wine barrels myself with a citrus planted in it. They're a really great size for planting in and look wonderful.

Many thanks for sharing as I trust it will inspire many of our members to complete a similar project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Veggie Project 2- Wine Barrels

Thanks Mitchell, we started with a couple years ago and they have olive trees in them. Now that I’m a veggie grower 🤣 they are perfect as the rabbits can’t get into them 🤣🤣 They make an amazing display! 

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Re: Veggie project 2 - Wine barrels as garden planters

@LisasGarden 

Hi there,

It looks lovely and I hope you don't have the failure that I had eventually in that my oak wine barel fell part because I had planted my tree straight into the pot.

Seems these barrels can have wine in them but the soil seems to destroy the timber, a bit like what happens to pine anywhere near the soil.

Perhaps if you deiced next year to freshen up the potting mix, it might pay to use a secondary pot that your plant can live and grow in but the moisture will be held by the outer pot and won't spoil the lovely timer and look you've gone to allot of trouble to create.

Well doné it looks lovely.

Hi there @Baretta11 . I have had wine barrels with Olive trees in them for around 10 years and no problems. So fingers crossed. I have large drainage holes covered with shade cloth and then stones and potting mix. 
Thank you 🥰

@LisasGarden 

Well I'm so pleased to hear the barrels are still going strong after 10 years.

I must have got a dud ha-ha

Cheers,

Barbara

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects