Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these new plants?

mazza
Finding My Feet

What are these new plants?

Just had a new garden bed planted but don’t know any of the plants ? Or how to look after them

AD548087-7172-4B77-9D8D-721DE370E51E.jpeg

E600793D-B45E-4F04-9E2F-C384FF6EF053.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are these new plants?

Hello @mazza

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about your new plants in the garden.

Looking at the picture the tall grass at the front looks like Lemon Grass. The tall plant in the middle could be Tulipwood or Emerald Fig. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the leaves of the plants? If we have more detail, we will have a better chance of identifying the plants. However, regular watering should suffice in the meantime. Once we've identified the plants, we can give you better advice on how to take care of them.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if they can identify your plants.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @mazza 
I think the tree is probably a native tuckeroo

Notes below on the bed...

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 5.54.16 pm.jpg

Thanks do you think the tukeroo is suitable for the front garden bed it is about 2 meters from the front door 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mazza

Let me tag @Adam_W to make him aware of your question. Once it has established itself, I suggest pruning the tree if it starts getting too big. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @mazza Good question...
It wouldn't be my choice in that location but its size can be contained.
I'm assuming it's a new house? Often landscape plantings have to comply with council conditions about a certain number of native plants & they will generally insist on including at least on native tree. It's somewhat ironic that councils have allowed subdivisions onto small blocks then they expect people to plant a tree... anyhews... I digress.
I can't see it will cause any major problems besides maintenance.
Here's a short profile which may help. Remember that when sizes are stated they are generally referring to ideal growth conditions. In the average domestic situation, outside of their regular climate zone, a tree may only reach 1/2 that size.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects