Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do i use to kill hook and thread worm in my soil?

corry
Just Starting Out

What do i use to kill hook and thread worm in my soil?

what do i use to kill hook and thread worms in my soil

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what do i use to kill hook and thread worm in my soil

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @corry. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing hook and threadworms from soil.

I presume there is a dog involved. If so, is it regularly treated with antiparasitic medications and all defecations removed from the backyard as soon as possible? There is a cycle that needs to be broken, and once it is, the hook and threadworm issue can be controlled. If this is an issue that has gone on for a while and the yard was not cleaned properly, the eggs and worms can enter the soil, which becomes an issue. 

Diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled over the area once you have thoroughly cleaned up all the defecation. It dries up the parasites and kills them. Another method I've heard of is raking Boric acid into your soil. Unfortunately, this will kill vegetation as well. You might find it hard to locate Boric acid, and Borax can be used as an alternative. Sunlight is also beneficial and helps kill parasites, so trim back any trees that might overshadow the soil.

With either the Borax or Diatomaceous earth, I would recommend fencing off the area whilst treating as you don't want animals or children around them. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: what do i use to kill hook and thread worm in my soil

Hi there, now please don’t take my word because I really don’t know anything. One thing I know is you need a VET not Bunnings . I am sure you worm your dog on a regular basis because you are a responsible owner. However things being as they are who knows. I myself could not cope with the itching in my nether regions from worms passed on via my pooch Charlie who loves to smack one on me.That’s why I worm him on a regular basis . I personally would take a sample of your pooches feaces to the vet to look at under a microscope. This will probably freak you out a bit but if you’re vet does find worms in the feaces of your pooch chances are they are in you as well as the soil. Don’t panic ,you go to the chemist and ask for some combamfrin for yourself (no one will know it’s you behind your mask). Worm  your Charlie regularly and never leave his or her poos lying around the yard but pick up ASAP. Then I find the old ways to fix the critters in your soil like Borax or Boric Acid work wonders spinked  liberally over the soil but if possible away from plants. I would do this when it is not going to be washed away by rain. The ratios of Borax to lawn you will have to google but as I have stated pile it on . The moral of this story is worm pooch regularly and yourself now and then pick up feaces ASAP plus kill any remaining critters with Borax. Please consult your Dr if symptoms persist. b🌺

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects