Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What flowers to plant in winter on Gold Coast?

LilyLilyRse
Getting Established

What flowers to plant in winter on Gold Coast?

This looks like a great forum! Now that the annuals in my pots in our patio are finishing, what can I plant in them that will give me some colour over winter? We live on the Gold Coast in Queensland. Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: flowers in winter please

Hello @LilyLilyRse

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what flowers to plant in winter.

There are a few flowers that thrive during winter in SE Queensland. Some of them are Ageratum, Carnation, Geranium, Impatiens, and Nasturtium. Some of these plants are very hardy and can withstand cold temperatures. Just a friendly reminder to make sure that the ph of the soil is balanced to the needs of your plant before you begin. 

My favourite among them is the Carnation. Easy to grow and take care of, flowers very well and their flowers are medicinal as well. There are substances in the flower that calm the nervous system. The oil extracted from them helps to treat skin rashes and eczema. You can even make tea out of the flower petals. 

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle, @BradN, and @Adam_W for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What flowers to plant in winter on Gold Coast?

Hi @LilyLilyRse . It's great that Eric has given you some terrific advice. I'm afraid that flowers aren't my strong suit. But all the potted colour for sale at your local Bunnings will have been selected to suit the current season, so you should be fine to plant anything that takes your fancy.

It's always good to start fresh with some fresh premium potting mix too. Older potting mix can be exhausted if the old plants have sucked most of the nutrients out of it, and the structure of the mix can collapse too, meaning that it won't drain as well. And potted flowers also prefer a nice, sunny spot. They don't do as well in the shade.

Let us know if you have any more questions. And we'd love to see some photos once you've got them all potted up nicely.

Brad 

LilyLilyRse
Getting Established

Thank you for the hints, I'll follow up on those. We do grow good old geraniums, such great colour choices & easy to propagate. Loooove nasturtiums, didn't realise they'd flower through winter. Thanks for you help

LilyLilyRose

LilyLilyRse
Getting Established

Thanks, I must admit I don't look after the potting mix that well so thanks for the tip! I learn something new every day!

LilyLilyRose

Hi @LilyLilyRse,

Nasturtiums flower predominantly in Summer and Autumn and can cling onto a few flowers through mild Winters. Up your way, you might have some success. 

If you're after an excellent potting mix, I'd recommend Scotts Osmocote 50L Premium Plus Superior Potting Mix.

Mitchell

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @LilyLilyRse & welcome!
Here's a quick list of some to consider;
- Bellis, English daisy
- Calendula, the pot marigold
- Cineraria
- Coleus (more for foliage than flowers)

- Dianthus (these include pinks & carnations)
- Rhodanthe, the paper daisies
- classic like Gallardia, fox gloves, snapdragons & forget-me-nots

- Impatiens

- Marigolds
- Nasturtiums, if you have the space as they tend to ramble

- Salvias
- Sunflowers

- Verbena
And don't over look bulbs to plant now for a late winter/spring display. Fantastic in pots.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a great list @Adam_W! Who would have thought there were so many options to plant in Winter. Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

LilyLilyRse
Getting Established

Thanks - going to try carnations too! LilyLilyRose

Thanks, a few to try there! LilyLilyRse

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects