Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is causing bud problem on Japanese Camellia?

cc1002
Cultivating a Following

What is causing bud problem on Japanese Camellia?

Hi there, I just found the hollow buds on my Japanese Camellia, like got eaten from inside of the buds. Could anyone please tell me what caused that problem? Thank you in advance.

69A774EE-4CFD-4295-BFC6-B3AAD7566BA4.jpeg392711FC-04D9-4AE6-941B-F5A2062F2571.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is causing bud problem on Japanese Camellia?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cc1002. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Camellia buds.

I suspect it's likely slugs or snails or perhaps even "balling" causing the damage to your buds. For the slugs and snails, you can place a ring of pellets around the base of your plant. Balling is a syndrome where the buds develop to the point just prior to opening, but before doing so, they go brown and eventually fall off. I'm leaning towards slugs or snails from your photos, but to address balling, you should reduce the number of buds on the plant and add Camellia fertiliser. You might also like to add a teaspoon of Epsom salts to five litres of water and apply it to the plant.

It could potentially be possums having a munch on the delicate petals. You can try some possum deterrent spray around the plant, which hopefully will send them elsewhere.

Let me mention a couple of our expert horticulturalists, @Noelle and @Adam_W, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@cc1002 

I would have to agree with Mitchell's opinions on the potential causes of the damage to your camellia buds, and I also endorse his suggestions for treatments, including the addition of fertiliser and trace elements (magnesium in Epsom Salts).

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hello, I had a terrible problem with snails and could not put bait around the base due to my puppy eating everything. I was advised by Eric to put the bait in the pot itself. I still went out every night looking for the culprits Gastropoda (snails) . I wish you well and if all fails you can always have escargot brenda 🌺🚗

cc1002
Cultivating a Following

Thank you all for the helpfully advices. 👍

cc1002
Cultivating a Following

Hello, thank you for your advice. Just ask if the snails only come out at night? As I try to find them in daytime, none of one. 

Hello, cc1002, I used to go out in the dark looking for the slippery little suckers.On advise from the Bunnings team I put snail bait inside the pot as I have a puppy. and he eats everything.. I never had any more problems. No dog sprinkle the bait around the pot.They also like beer so you can put a dish of it up against the plant.. I do hope this is help full brenda 

35AC0F7F-C878-44EE-A521-735C97D5E15B.jpeg

5B72CDE9-EF99-46C5-9A32-20A52FAD81CD.jpeg

cc1002
Cultivating a Following

Yes I got it, will do. Btw, you have such a beautiful garden.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects