Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is causing our zucchini plant to have silver on it?

alexi
Cultivating a Following

What is causing our zucchini plant to have silver on it?

IMG_1027.jpeg

We’ve planted zucchini in our raised (new) garden bed and while they are making produce, the leaves and some of the stems have grey/silver spotting to it. 

IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1029.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is causing our zucchini plant to have silver on it?

Hi @alexi,

I presume you might be well aware of this, but I think it's important to point out to others who come across this discussion that the white pattern we see here on the leaves is natural variegation and perfectly normal. However, as seen on your stems and leaves, there also appears to be an obvious case of powdery mildew, which can be treated with Eco-Organic 750ml Ready To Use Eco-Fungicide. The difference between power mildew and natural variegation is that powdery mildew can be wiped off with a damp cloth and should be done so if possible before applying your fungicide.

Lovely Zuccs by the way!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alexi
Cultivating a Following

Hi friends..

Just an update. I ended up buying that Fungicide as recommended by @MitchellMc (Eco-Organic 750ml Ready To Use Eco-Fungicide)..

After a single application, my wife was recommended another fix for this, and that was to cut off all leaves BELOW the last fruit.

This itself helped airflow significantly and is a common problem to amateur gardeners like myself.

We had SO many yellow lady bugs that were doing their best to clean up the powdery mildew (I've NEVER seen so many of them in my life) but couldn't keep up.

Here's the vine trunk of the zucchini's after the cleanup, with a couple of failed pollination attempts of the yellow zucchinis which I'll chop off after this post.

a LOT more space to breathe, along with more space for the fruit to be pollinated.

CutBackZucchini.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @alexi 

Thank you very much for that update. I hope your zucchini recovers from the fungal attack. Just a friendly reminder that lady bugs are beneficial insects. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alexi
Cultivating a Following

Hi there @EricL . Thanks for your message. Yeah understand they’re beneficial just felt bad that they couldn’t keep up. They were fighting a losing battle with our situation. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects