Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best fill for my planter box?

NeilF
Just Starting Out

What is the best fill for my planter box?

PXL_20240501_051625629.jpg

What would be the best soils/stones etc to fill this planter.

I want to put rosemary and lavender in it, but feel filling it up fully with soil is excessive.

It has a concrete bottom and is west facing.

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best fill for my planter box.?

Hello @NeilF 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about filling your raised planter box.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Hugelkultur raised garden bed using Colorbond fencing by @Aussie-Garden. It's an excellent example of how you can fill your raised garden bed. Cut up branches, leaves, aged cow manure including cardboard.

Here some handy guides that will help you choose your soil:

In regards to planting rosemary, most varieties grow best in well-drained, loamy, slightly acidic soil. The preferred soil pH is between 6.0 and 7.0. relatively easy to grow, making it a good choice for any home herb garden. 

Whereas Lavender prefers alkaline soils, so incorporate some dolomite lime into acid soils before planting and provide slow-release fertiliser each spring. Do not use organic mulch around the plants, as these maintain moisture around the trunk and lower branches.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is the best fill for my planter box?

Hi @NeilF,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

I have one more really hand resource to add to Eric's suggestions: experienced member @Noelle has shared a comprehensive step-by-step guide How to fill a raised garden bed.

I trust you will find it helpful, but please feel free to ask any follow-up questions. We're here to help and are looking forward to seeing your plants flourishing in their new home soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects