Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best product to seal wooden planter?

ArayaArai
Finding My Feet

What is the best product to seal wooden planter?

I'm attempting to restore an wooden planter box. I replaced the rotted pieces with cut pine (Pine KD UT 70x35 1.1m) that I bought from you. At the time, noone could tell me if they are 100% safe for planting vegetables and I was told that it should be sealed with acrylic paint and line it with plastic sheet. So I bought Bondall Exterior Clear Vanish (Satin) which says that I should weather the timber before applying. Here are my questions...

1. Did I buy the right product? - Bondall Exterior Clear Vanish (Satin) 

2. If so, can I skip the timber weathering step?

3. Is this pine treated? Is it safe to be used for vegetables planter box?

20221227_131003.jpg

20221227_125650.jpg

20221227_120654.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best product to seal wooden planter?

Hi @ArayaArai,

Could you provide the item number of the exact product you've used? In order to identify the treatment of the product you've used, I need to know exactly what it is. "Pine KD UT 70x35 1.1m" doesn't generate any search results for me.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Please see attached barcode. I hope this helps. Thank you.20221227_142158.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @ArayaArai,

Thank you for sending the photo of your barcode, this will definitely help @MitchellMc when he is back online on Friday. Let me tag our Bunnings team members & Workshop wonders @twocutekelpies and @mich1972 to see if they can decipher and give some advice on building your planter boxes. 

Katie

twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Hi @ArayaArai , thanks for posting the extra details, KD UT is Kiln Dried UnTreated so will definitely need protection if using outside and as it's not treated, will be safe to use with vegies. What are you using inside that frame to house the soil? Will the dirt be against the timber or is the frame to house pots?

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Thank you @KatieC.

Hi @twocutekelpies

So can I use the Bondall Exterior Clear Vanish (Satin) to seal this untreated pine?

I'm planning to line the inside with Garden Green Weed Control Mat (item number 265060). It allows water to go through so the woods will have contact with water. As I type this, I can see flaws in my plan. Haha! Nevertheless, what would you recommend?

Thank you.  

Araya.

Hi Araya, from what I can see of the product details, the Bondall Exterior Clear Varnish (Satin) looks fine to use for the outside of the frame, but I'd call their hotline on 1800 810 123 to confirm that it would hold up to having dirt/moisture permanently against it, just to make sure.

I know bitumen paint is for use on retaining walls so may be better suited to painted the interior of the frame, I would call Crommelin's hotline on 1800 655 711 to make sure it's ok for use on a vegie patch, I've found their support line to be very helpful in the past. 

Hope this helps

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Hi @ArayaArai,

It's great to see that @twocutekelpies has been providing advice. They are correct that your timber is untreated. Typically untreated timber is used indoors as it has no weather resistance. Applying the Bondall product will seal the timber and provide some level of protection to it. The other option would have been to go with an H3 non-arsenic-based treated timber which also would be suitable for a vegetable planter box but be treated to prevent decay in the weather.

You'll be able to paint all the exterior of the timber fine, but I have concerns about your joints. Unless you unassemble and paint the interiors of them, then water will seep in there and begin the decay process.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects