Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is wrong with my avocado tree?

julia2
Just Starting Out

What is wrong with my avocado tree?

20220518_093320.jpg

My 3 year old avocado tree has brown bits on all it's 'stems/trunks/branches'.  I've tried watering it less, and watering it more :smile: 

The disease seems to continue and spread to any new stems.  It was in a 40L bucket for 2 years as we were at a rental (this did have good drainage) and has been in the ground now for probably 4 months. 

Do I just give up on it due to the extent of the brown stuff?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is wrong with my avocado tree?

Hello @julia2

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your avocado tree.

I'm sorry to hear that your avocado tree is not in the best of health. Would it be possible for you to post a closer photo of the branches and the leaves that have been affected? Can you also please include a photo of the bottom of the affected leaves. This will allow us to assess the condition of the tree and give you a better diagnosis. We'll then be able to offer you recommendations on how to treat your tree.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
julia2
Just Starting Out

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your reply.  I have attached some more photos now. 20220531_110353.jpg20220531_105947.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @julia2

Thank you so much for posting those photos. Looking at the leaves and the pattern of the die-off leads me to believe that it might be a fungal infection. I'm sorry but I'll be needing a little bit more information. Have you been having a lot of rain lately in your area? If you remove that sandy topsoil near your avocado plant is it damp underneath? Does it have a faint smell of rot or very damp vegetation? 

Organic matter when left in a body of water tends to release gasses. If the root system of your avocado has been drenched continuously, there is the possibility that the water has been trapped and is not draining away from the area. This condition causes root rot. As a quick experiment try digging near your avocado tree near the roots and see if you notice excessive moisture trapped in the soil.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for a second opinion on what could be infecting your avocado tree.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Agreed, more info needed. However, I think you are heading in the right direction, Eric.

Jarvell
Just Starting Out

Hello everyone, i have an avocado tree i bought from Lowes about 2 months. Im having the same problem. Alot of leaves are browing and one of the stems is showing bark. Its still in a pot about 41/2 ft tall tree.

1000009753.jpg

1000009754.jpg

1000009755.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jarvell. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Avocado care.

I'd imagine there are a couple of issues going on here. It's best to re-plant into a larger container after purchase if the season provides for it. Managing water and nutrients in such a small pot is very hard. The soil will typically either be wet immediately after you water or dry a day after that, and there's no extended period in between. 

Is the plant receiving adequate sunlight, and how often have you been watering? Is there a possibility of some animal gnawing that section of bark off? Perhaps a possum or wallaby? It could be from disease, but it's best to explore other options.

Here's a helpful guide: How to grow and care for an avocado tree.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects