Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kind of soil should I use for my vegetable garden bed?

Liam3
Just Starting Out

What kind of soil should I use for my vegetable garden bed?

Hi,

I am about to start the journey of building my first vegetable garden using this garden bed. While I am looking forward to growing lots of zucchini and tomatoes, I am super confused about what kind of soils or mixes I should buy to fill it. Budget friendly products are needed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bliv
Cultivating a Following

Re: What kind of soil should I use for my vegetable garden bed?

when i installed a 'birdies' raised garden bed (Great quality, by the way) i took the trailer to my local sand/fodder store and got a roughly 60/40 mix of loam / veggie compost mix.

i think they put like 250kg of loam and 150kg of veggie compost in the 6x4 trailer.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of soil should I use for my vegetable garden bed?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Liam3. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's fantastic to see you've already received a helpful reply from @Bliv. A bulk mix is certainly an option but as your garden bed is relatively low-lying then you could also use a bagged mix.

You should find this step-by-step guide helpful: How to fill a raised garden bed by @Noelle. Within this guide, Noelle suggests using a potting mix designed for vegetables like Scotts Osmocote 25L Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Premium Potting Mix or Scotts Osmocote Plus Organics 25L Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Premium Planting Mix.

Please let us know if you need further information or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects