Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What plant is this and how do I care better?

ArunM
Cultivating a Following

What plant is this and how do I care better?

Please can somebody know what plant this is. It also looks pretty unwell . What sort of care does this need ? 

Complete beginner so thanks for your patience. 

PXL_20231104_073931737.jpg

PXL_20231104_073954517.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What plant is this and how do I care better

That's a Grevillea @ArunM

Do you happen to recall when these branches started dying back? I had a similar issue with my Grevillea, which was always sickly, so I decided to remove it by cutting it down to the ground. It turns out that was exactly what it wanted as it sprung back with more vigour than I've ever seen before; it looks wonderful now. For now, I'd suggest removing all the dead material.

A lot of issues with Grevilleas start with poor drainage. However, your soil looked quite dry and compacted under the mulch. Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @Noelle and @mich1972 to see if they have some thoughts.

Here's a helpful guide: Planting, growing and pruning Grevilleas

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @ArunM  That’s a Grevillea, absolutely beautiful in full flower. Full of Nectar for foraging Bees and Beneficial Insects. The birds love to feed on the nectar. Just cut off the dead twigs and lightly prune after it’s flowered. It’s an Australian Native plant so only feed it with a Native Fertiliser. 😃🪴🐝

ArunM
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @mich1972 . I love to see the birds on it. I will start with a prune and also cut off the deal twigs. 

Is there any other plant native bushy ,colorful  plants which birds like to feed on that you can recommend. We are in Queensland. We would love to add some to our garden. 

ArunM
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc .

I dont remember when these started. They have not got good care till now.

I will start off with a light prune and removing the dead twigs to see if it helps. I will also get a native fertilizer as recommended from Bunnings.

Thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Your local Bunnings store will have an array of flowering native plants for you to select from @ArunM. If you stop in, you can discuss with the Nursery Expert options suitable to your local area. You'll find that the plants stocked at your local store have been tailored to the climate in your area. You might like to look at Waratahs, Bottle brushes, banksias, Kangaroo paw and callistemons.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Absolutely agree with Mitchell, pop into to your local store and they will be able to help you out with choosing what grows in your area 🪴🐝

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Great advice for @ArunM , mich1972!

ArunM
Cultivating a Following

I have really given them a hard prune now to see how they will grow back up now.

Just trying my luck here, there seems to be lots of types of Grevilleas here. Which variant would these be ? e. I am trying to see if I can identify the exact name on this one. 

Thanks

Thanks. WhatsApp Image 2024-02-04 at 5.22.01 PM.jpeg

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What plant is this and how do I care better?

Hi @ArunM 

Sorry to come in on the end of the conversation, but in my opinion, those dead twigs look like the old flower spikes that have finished flowering and should have been trimmed off at that point to encourage new growth. I don't think it is the shrub dying back.  As the flowers fade and drop off, cut back to just behind the flower and that will not only neaten the shrub but also be what it needs to send out new shoots.

This grevillea looks like 'Robyn Gordon' or another of the same group of Gordon cultivars.

Noelle_0-1707084091949.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects