Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What plants to grow in this spot?

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

What plants to grow in this spot?

Hi friends 

Seeking guidance on what should I be growing on this spot. This spot had couple of year old Japanese maples which had started drying and were too close to a wall. We got rid of them last year.

Soil does not seem very productive (tried growing veggies) I have added fertilizer etc. Tried Mustard last winter results weren't great. Spot does get morning sun but is part shaded. This also has Climbing Fig (as per google lens) this is our Front yard and people coming in will see this side at first glance. 

DSC_0382.JPG

Thanks for your help . I am in Sydney (Chatswood).

Cheers

DSC_0384.JPGDSC_0383.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What plants to grow in this spot?

Hi @notshyofeffort,

It sounds like that soil might need to be really turned over and some organic material added. You should dig it all over to a depth of 30cm, remove some soil and then replace it with some compost mix. This will give you a much better chance of the areas being productive.

Since you haven't had great luck planting in the ground there, and are concerned about how close the plants will be to the wall, maybe raised garden beds could be a solution. You'd then be able to view your plants from inside the house as well. This would be lovely if you planted some flowering varieties. Check out our Top 10 most popular raised garden beds for some inspiration. You should also find these step-by-step guides useful: How to fill a raised garden bed by @Noelle and How to plan a garden makeover by @Adam_W.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

We dug the whole lot and added compost and premium pot mix.

Planted Kalanchoe, Bonita and  Gladioli bulbs at the back. Fingers crossed let's see how this goes I will also put some mulch.

CheersDSC_0391[1].JPG

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

To my friends on community this is how the bin cover and landscape is coming together. Bonita flowering well and  Gladioli flowers should be coming soon added some sunflowers as well. Kalanchoe I replanted to drier pots.  Thanks for your help.DSC_0013.JPG

Hello @notshyofeffort

Thank you so much for the update. Your garden is looking wonderful, I'm looking forward to seeing the Gladioli flowers. Hopefully, your Kalanchoe will be fairing better soon. I see you've placed a water feature in the middle. Is that one of those solar pads that just start working as soon as you have it in the sun? Have you had many birds come in since you've installed it? If you have any other projects on the go, please don't hesitate to share them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Again, thank you for the update on your garden.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL 

Yes this is a Solar fountain so far has been decent when sun is up it works and also works couple of hours at night. 

One or 2 birds checked it out not much interest from birds, hopefully with warm weather they will come.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects