Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with a Zucchini plant?

Roni
Growing in Experience

What to do with a Zucchini plant?

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can give me a few gardening tips.

We moved to a new house about 2 months ago and the landlord left a Zucchini plant in the garden bed for us. We got quite a few nice Zucchinis out of it but now the plant is massive and I just wanted to ask if anyone would have a few handy tips in regards to trimming the plant? We cut some leaves out but I'm not sure how much I should trim it back.

IMG_1387.JPG

Any advice is more than welcome :smile:

Cheers
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: What to do with a Zucchini plant?

Zucchini plants can get very big! My understanding is that you can take some of the leaves off (you often want to do this to give the plant more sunlight) but shouldn't cut any stems. I imagine @CathM would know more...

Roni
Growing in Experience

bluebec
Building a Reputation

My understanding of zucchinis, and I have never successfully grown one so you know take all this with a grain of salt, is that they will die back with the colder weather (depending on where you live, obs).

They can get to be really long plants/vines, and that looks like a really small planter box to grow one in (given how far they like to spread).

Roni
Growing in Experience

Hmm good point. I might actaully then just remove it and plant something else there for Winter

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck with the winter planting @Roni.

You might find some of the suggestions in this discussion helpful - What will you be planting in autumn?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yeah ditch it now and plant something else there. Make sure to give the soil in that bit a bit of love before you plant something new!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects