Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with this garden wall?

frasesmith
Finding My Feet

What to do with this garden wall?

The lattice and section of wall beneath it (pictured) has just been removed for bobcat access for a landscaping project. Chasing some inspiration of what to do when we built something back in its place.

Note: the wall backs onto the carport.

619A181E-1084-4416-A577-1EAAB34775E8.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What do do with this garden wall?

Hello @frasesmith 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what to do with your garden wall.

I suppose it all depends on what purpose you had in mind. Perhaps a door and gate combo if you wish to use it as a passage or a vertical garden if you want more plant space? How about a timber frame with Matrix panel displays? You can also put in a wire trellis that will allow you to put in climbing plants. 

You can also do combinations of these ideas especially if you still want to use it as a passage area. 

Here are some links for ideas and inspiration:

Let me call on our experienced members @homeinmelbourne, @TedBear and @redbournreno for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What to do with this garden wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @frasesmith. It's great to have you join us. 

Could I please trouble you for some more pictures from further away so we can better understand the context of where this wall is in relation to the rest of your backyard. It might help community members provide more helpful recommendations in keeping with your garden.

All the best,

Jason

redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @frasesmith ,

That is a cute little area. It would be great to have a bit more information so we can make some great suggestions for you.  What is the width between the remaining brick sides and the height of the brick wall and height to the eaves of the carport?  Do you want total privacy or the way the lattice is was good to allow for airflow? Do you need security?

As @EricL suggested, a trellis for a climbing plant is a great idea and can bring lush greenery and colour to the space.  Something like a jasmine can bring fragrance too.  But I'm not sure it will look nice from the shady carport side unless it was against a fence and the sun shone onto it. The vertical garden are also a great idea.

The matrix panels are a great alternative - check the height and width will work for the space. There is a great variety of styles. Be led by the architecture of your home to choose the best one and make sure the colouring works well with your bricks.

You could also try the panels https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-aluminium-900-x-1800mm-satin-black-oriental-deco-screen-panel_...

There are really creative modern barriers that could be done using Sandleford posts https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford-1-7m-terrain-feature-fencing-upright_p0330256  They come in various colourbond colours and timber looks.

Repotting those cute pot plants into complementary style pots and colours will make the area great again.

I hope that helps you. Belinda

5578B7FF-DD8C-44A6-8BE1-BBAA943E81F1.jpeg

  

Hi Jason, here’s some photos of where the wall is located in regards to the rest of the yard.

AB349ED5-1DF8-4094-953D-01912254115B.jpeg

Hi Belinda,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Rough measurements between the pillars is 2100mm, height of the pillars is 1800mm and height of the eaves is 2100m.

We don’t need total security/privacy in this section as we will be putting a door on the carport soon as well.

Re: What do do with this garden wall?

Thanks Eric! Some great suggestions coming through I think I like the idea of trellis with climbing plants or the matrix screens the most so far.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @frasesmith 

Thank you for the extra photos. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to revamp your garden! Do you have a plan already in place? My number one suggestion is to make sure that the ground soil has a fall so that water does not pool in the middle of your new garden. It's also essential that you provide drainage for excess rainwater in your garden.

Any details you can share about your garden revamp would be very much appreciated.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

That's a good size to suit a range of screen sizes.  Now you just need to choose a style that you like.

Either off-white or surfmist to match the white patio, or charcoal to match the windows/gutters.

Straight slats might match the patio most https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-1810-x-905mm-slat-screen-panel-with-frame_p0131472

Or a decorative pattern if you like that.

Check the framing and ground support system too.  Most panels are 900-915 wide, so you will fit only 2 panels plus the posts. Check how the left over space might be filled.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects