Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of grass and weed are these?

nonsibicunctis
Building a Reputation

What type of grass and weed are these?

Hi, I hope I'm not being foolish.  I know nothing about plants or gardening but have a problem.  I live in Toowoomba, Queensland.  The soil is heavy and claylike.

I have weeds growing all over the place but I don't know what they are so I don't know what to use to get rid of them.  I thought that they were bindi because they have small round burrs, in plenty, that have a mass of prickles sticking out of them.  I have a long haired dog and have to spend endless time in removing them from his hair.

I have seen weed killers advertised but some say that they are for Buffalo grass and some not.  I don't have the faintest idea of what type of grass I have.  It certainly can't be called a lawn.  The yard is lumpy and bumpy sloped and a mess.  Mowing it is a night-mare.

So, I have attached pictures of the weed and of the grass.  I may be asking too much, in which case I apologise.  However if anyone can give me a clue as to what the grass and the weed are and perhaps what best to use to get rid of the weed without damaging the grass, I would much appreciate it.

If I'm expecting too much, I apologise.  Please feel free to laugh, scoff, mock or scorn me.  :smile:WeedWeed

WeedWeed

WeedWeed

GrassGrass

GrassGrass

Grass & WeedGrass & Weed

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of grass and weed are these?

Hi @nonsibicunctis,

No need to apologise for asking questions as that's what the community is here for and was built upon.

I can't quite make out from the images but it certainly sounds like Bindii and a poison to suit will get rid of them.

The reasoning behind seeing "Not suitable for Buffalo" is because Buffalo is one of the more susceptible grass types to poisons. If you don't know what type of grass it is, or if it is a mixture, I would suggest purchasing products suitable for Buffalo. In this case, a suitable product for Buffalo that removes Bindii is Yates 250ml Buffalo Pro Selective Bindii & Broadleaf Weedkiller Concentrate which can be mixed up in a garden sprayer and applied to the whole lawn.

I think you'll find this year the spiny seed capsules have already formed and are likely to still be an issue even after spraying. It would still be worth spraying now and then again in early spring when you first notice the plants.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell, thank you for your response.  You are very kind.

It is probably my befuddled head but I am just puzzled about what seems to be a contradiction - please don't take that the wrong way, I am certainly not challenging your competence or knowledge, for I admit to having none..  I think that I must just be missing something.

You have told me that products labelled 'not suitable for Buffalo' are so because Buffalo is very susceptible to poisons.  (At least that is what I understand you to have said.). However you then suggest that I use a Buffalo weed-killer. 

My confusion is thus:  If Buffalo is susceptible to poisons and my grass does turn out to be Buffalo, then surely I will risk killing the grass as well as the weeds. - Or am I missing something here?

@nonsibicunctis,

I'd never have an issue explaining further. Perhaps I could have been a bit clearer in my answer.

Buffalo is susceptible to some poisons. If you use a product that says "Not suitable for Buffalo" it will kill the Buffalo grass. If you have Buffalo or do not know you'll need to use a poison that is suitable for Buffalo like the Yates Buffalo Pro I mentioned. Its name comes from the fact that it is designed to kill weeds in a Buffalo lawn.

You'll also find Buffalo doesn't like some Weed and Feed spray-on type products. 

In conclusion, stay away from the "Not suitable for Buffalo" and look for products that are suitable for Buffalo. These are specially formulated not to hurt most lawns.

Mitchell

Mitchell.  Thank you.  That's very clear.  I feel like a complete dodo for it makes so much sense that, obviously, if it designed to be suitable for Buffalo then, presumably, it will not be strong enough to kill it. Duh!

Everything fits, now.  You've been a gem.  5 stars plus from someone who'll give anything a try but knows nothing at all.

Take care, stay safe, and thanks to Bunnings for providing this forum and to all those who support it and are willing to share their knowledge and experience.  Sad to say, it can be rare to find today.

Thanks again.

It's my pleasure to assist you @nonsibicunctis.

Please let us know anytime you have any questions, run into difficulties or would like to share something with the community. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects