Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of grass is this?

amirrafique
Finding My Feet

What type of grass is this?

What type of grass is this and from where I can get it. I have couple of patches of it in my lawn.

20230424_094127.jpg20230424_094111.jpg20230424_094053.jpg20230424_094037.jpg20230424_094025.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of grass is this?

Hello @amirrafique 

It looks like Buffalo Turf, the long stem in your picture is actually the Buffalo runner. They usually grow under the turf, but if they become a nuisance, it can be cut off.  

The turf patch can be purchased at the store, I suggest giving your local store a call first to make sure they have some in stock.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay turf 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric for your response. I am very new to this stuff. I am trying to set my lawn. It seems there are couple of grasses (& weeds :unhappy: ) in my lawn. Here is another one. From my previous post https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Garden/What-is-this-weed-and-how-to-treat-it/m-p/141082,

IMG-20230125-WA0002.jpg

 This one has broader leaf blades and the runner is bit thick compared to the one above.

The one above has thin leaves and dark color. Can it be couch?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @amirrafique 

Couch turf has a small fine blade when compared to Buffalo turf which has a large thick blade. Even the Couch runners come out with small stems, just keep in mind that these runners can be trimmed off if they are interfering with the look of your lawn.

Eric

How can I encourage this runner? this is the grass that I want to take over my lawn.

For a couch turf, what seeds I can use?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amirrafique 

If you're thinking about using seeds, I suggest looking at Scotts Lawn Builder 1.4kg Seed & Feed Couch Lawn Seed. It has slow release lawn fertiliser included and provides the new grass with nutrients for up to three months.

In regards to the turf runner, the only way I know of to encourage their growth is to trim them occasionally. 

Please make sure to follow seeding instructions at the back of the box. Please make sure to wear gloves, and goggles when sowing the seeds.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects