Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What veggies are you harvesting and sowing?

bergs
Making a Splash

What veggies are you harvesting and sowing?

IMG_20180207_142327.jpg

Hi All,

I just thought to ask what veges everyone is harvesting or sowing now.

This is the time of the year you can enjoy all of your hard work and reap the rewards from early Spring tasks, depending on your area.

The harvests from my garden are climbing beans, carrots, beetroot, spring onions, lettuce (Oak leaf etc. pick as it grows and doesn't take up as much room, self seeds everywhere and on hand most of the time), tomatoes are about to ripen, pumpkins nearly ready to store for drying, capsicum, chilies, rhubarb and  zucchinis are all doing well.

I don't do too bad considering I haven't got a lot of room and there are large trees all around.

I'm in Geelong and the Spring/Summer season is a great time to spend in the garden, so I make the best out of the weather.

The Spring and Summer crops hang on until early Autumn so I don't get much into the beds until late March.

I generally grow broad beans in Autumn followed by beefing up the soil in the beds for next Spring.

Not much grows in Winter as  the yard doesn't get enough sun.

Let us know what you harvest and plant at this time of the where ever you are?

Cheers bergs

Be happy and care for your tools
bluebec
Building a Reputation

Re: What Veggies are Members Harvesting and Sowing at the Moment?

I might start a separate thread about preserves and jams (if there isn't already one) and we can share what we do.

Sounds good to me @bluebec
Be happy and care for your tools
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bluebec and @bergs

You might like to add to this discussion - Preserving your excess garden produce

It was created a while ago by @Annette but it's a topic that doesn't date.

Lovely to see you back on the site Bec. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RosieW
Having an Impact

I have lots of piccies to upload. So many tomatoes - it's been a bumper season. I grew most of them from last year's saved seeds - really happy with results. In fact so many I'm looking for a simple tomato chutney recipe? Anyone have one to share?

Also basil, lettuce and silverbeet going really well - picking leaves as needed. Again, the best crops are coming from last season's collected seeds. First time I've done that, so quite pleased with myself and saved some $$$.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing your photos @RosieW. Great to hear that it's been a bumper season for you. I'm sure there will be members who are happy to share chutney recipes. 

Lovely to see you back on Workshop. Hope all is well.

Jason

kel
Making a Splash

looks like everyone is doing well with their vegie gardens,which is really good ,considering the harsh weather that we have been having.we have had a good run with our tomatoes, cucumbers and chillies,the beans have been a bit disappointing,lovely healthy looking vines but so far very few beans.we have about 10 or twelve cobs of corn coming along and our lemon and manderine trees are looking to have plenty of fruit set .last winter we didn't plant any winter crops because i wanted to try and build the quality of the soil up,so i just dug some blood and bone ,mulch and organic matter into the beds so once the summer crops have finished,i'll dig the beds over ,then decide whether to plant some winter veg or just add more organic matter to the soil for the next summer crops.
cheers and happy gardening
kel
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you got your garden up and running on your new property as yet @Adam_W? In your interview last year you mentioned you needed some water tanks first. Any progress?

Jason

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Interesting article today about farms in suburban areas - https://www.domain.com.au/living/suburban-farming-the-australians-with-country-lifestyles-but-city-l...

Good to see that the local council were actually supportive. 

Funny story @Jason...
We moved from NSW to Qld coming up to 2-years ago now.

When we drove up I towed a box trailer that I had modified so I could safely transport all the plants from my mini-nursery. Had to first check with Dept. of Primary Industries that I wasn’t breaking any interstate quarantine laws…

Anyhews… one of my treasures was a bean (which no-one has ever been able to adequately identify for me…) that I had grown from seed from Norfolk Island.

Out there they call it the ‘wuhuu’ bean but I like to call it the ‘Bounty bean’.
Why? Well… a large part of the Norfolk Isle population is descended from the Bounty mutineers who had escaped to the Pitcairn Islands. They grew this bean on Pitcairn so it was likely from provisions on the Bounty.

When they came to Norfolk in the 1860’s from Pitcairn they brought the bean with them & it’s been handed down & grown ever since.

This makes it an amazing heirloom variety with incredible lineage.

It is now in a garden bed I assembled as a video project (that I relocated from our rental property we were in when we first moved up) so it’s the only veggie we have growing.

I have however been planting loads of fruit trees which is a story I’ll share when I get some time as we had some issues to overcome to find suitable varieties.
I am planning on putting some gardens in soon just for veggies as I've found a mob who make prefabricated 'wicking beds', think of them like enormous self-watering pots, and that would suit our present water situation. You basically just top up the reservoir every week rather than having to splash water around every day. Cool or wot!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @Adam_W. What kind of bean is it similar to? And more importantly, does it taste good? :smile:

Looking forward to reading more about your wicking beds and fruit trees soon.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects