Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What veggies are you harvesting and sowing?

bergs
Making a Splash

What veggies are you harvesting and sowing?

IMG_20180207_142327.jpg

Hi All,

I just thought to ask what veges everyone is harvesting or sowing now.

This is the time of the year you can enjoy all of your hard work and reap the rewards from early Spring tasks, depending on your area.

The harvests from my garden are climbing beans, carrots, beetroot, spring onions, lettuce (Oak leaf etc. pick as it grows and doesn't take up as much room, self seeds everywhere and on hand most of the time), tomatoes are about to ripen, pumpkins nearly ready to store for drying, capsicum, chilies, rhubarb and  zucchinis are all doing well.

I don't do too bad considering I haven't got a lot of room and there are large trees all around.

I'm in Geelong and the Spring/Summer season is a great time to spend in the garden, so I make the best out of the weather.

The Spring and Summer crops hang on until early Autumn so I don't get much into the beds until late March.

I generally grow broad beans in Autumn followed by beefing up the soil in the beds for next Spring.

Not much grows in Winter as  the yard doesn't get enough sun.

Let us know what you harvest and plant at this time of the where ever you are?

Cheers bergs

Be happy and care for your tools

Re: What Veggies are Members Harvesting and Sowing at the Moment?

Thanks @greygardener, there are still quite a few to come. They are full of juice and are very delicious.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I got a chance to do some gardening today and planted some seedlings in the Vegiepod. I planted spinach, baby spinach, lettuce, coriander and parsley. I also planted some more basil and parsley in the garden.

Still hoping for some rain to help the rest of the garden.

Jason

VegepodPlanting.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I pulled out my tomato plants on the weekend. They didn't do very well this year. They needed a lot more water than usual because of the lack of rain. 

Hi @Jason, the Vegie Pod is a good idea and it has a top on it. It will keep the birds out.

This year the Blackbirds have increased dramatically, I have seen at least 6 male and female scratching in the garden this year. They seem to be nesting later this year.

They're even scratching out my pots, and some of my chillies have been damaged.

I have put bricks and wood in places to dicourage them, but they still do damage.

SO FRUSTRATING.

Hi @greygardener,

My tomatoes bushes still have a couple of dozen large green tomatoes on them, but the leaves have all started withering 3/4 of the way up the plant. I will leave in until after Easter and see if they turn colour, if not they're out and it will be green tomato pickles.

Tomato at end of seasonTomato at end of seasonIMG_20180320_103952.jpg

I've planted more carrots, and my broad beans are up. I put some of that black irrigation hose in a semi circle each end of the plot and put black bird netting over, to stop the birds from ripping the beans out.

IMG_20180320_104054.jpg

IMG_20180320_104035.jpg

Above: Capsicum are coming on strong. I think this is the best year i've had with caps.IMG_20180320_122351.jpg

This week I will be planting some Rainbow Chard (silverbeet), radish and Mustard Greens

Cheers and happy gardening:bigsmile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bergs

The Vegiepod cover was one of the reasons I was most keen to try it. In past years we've had problems with furry friends eating our produce before we could pick it. The cover is fantastic for keeping pests at bay and also helps manage temperature.

I've done a few experiments planting the same seedlings in the Vegiepod to a nearby garden bed in the ground and the Vegiepod seedlings always do better. 

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

@Jason

Is the vegie pod self watering? I think you said was in an earlier post, so you won't have to water it much, if it's in the open.

The cover is a good idea because as well as keeping your furry friends out, it will do the same for blackbirds, other predators and also protect from frosts.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bergs

The pod has a mist sprayer build into the cover - you just connect a hose. Better still, it utilises a wicking system so that you don't need to water regularly. See https://vegepod.com.au/pages/product-features

Jason 

ankrich
Just Starting Out

Hi All,
I am a newbie to gardening. I have planted coriander seeds 4 weeks back ( very first time :smile: ). it's very satisfying to see the 3 inch long seedlings. Not sure if this growth is good or not.
Hopefully i will start slowly turning my barren clay garden beds to something productive and beautiful.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good for you @ankrich. That sounds like a great start! 

Let us know if you need a hand with anything. I'm sure that some of our keen gardeners like @bergs will be happy to provide any assistance they can. 

Fantastic to see you make your first post on Workshop. Welcome aboard.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How's your garden at the moment @bergs? Have you got your summer crops in yet?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects