Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wheelchair accessible garden boxes

Hank
Getting Established

Wheelchair accessible garden boxes

As a wheelchair user, it is nigh impossible to utilise the videoes made. Would it be feasible to make a raised garden bed for herbs and spices that I could easliy maintan from a wheelchair?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Wheelchair accessible garden boxes

Hi @Hank,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Could you please let us know what videos you are referring to? It's certainly possible to build a great raised garden bed that is accessible. Here's some examples of projects shared by Workshop members that you might be interested in:

You might also get inspiration from some of the designs in the top 10 most popular raised garden beds on Workshop

Hope that helps get the discussion started and the ideas flowing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Hank

An alternative to building your own might be something like the Vegepod, which is on a raised stand - https://vegepod.com.au/

Hank
Getting Established

Thanks and they look great, but it doesn't look like a wheelchair would fit underneath them to enable weeding, planting, etc?

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Hank

I've drawn you up a plan for a potting table which should be wheel chair compliant. What good is a raised garden bed without a potting table eh? I'm also currently drawing up a purpose built raised garden bed plan that should be compatible with your needs. Just give me a few days to check my measurements. However i would like to ask you a question. How big an area are you dedicating to the garden? It will help me calculate the size of the bed and provide you with enough access around it. The measurements I've indicated on the plan are based on standard timber sizes available at Bunnings. A handy DIY person should have no problems following the plan I've draw out for you. I strongly suggest treated timber for the legs and at least a hard waxed or pre-oiled timber bench top for your table. An extra coating of wax or oil all over would'nt hurt either. This should protect it from the elements and give a long service life. The lower table at the side is for the landing of the soil and plants and you have your prep area which if my numbers are correct should be just above your legs. But please feel free to correct these numbers to suit your needs.

---------

I had to take out the color so you would see all the numbers.I had to take out the color so you would see all the numbers.

Here's the view from the back.Here's the view from the back.A better view of the landing.A better view of the landing.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hank
Getting Established

Thank you so much for that idea and drawing, I think we will build that or get it built. 

Hank
Getting Established

Further to your post, we are only thinkiing about a metre by 50 cm as our back yard.:smile: is fairly small and we only want it for herbs. Yes, 700 mm is a good height. :rosy:

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Hank

As promised here is my suggestion for your raised garden bed. Due to the limited space available to you I was turning this issue in my head, why not a vertical planter! Not only will you have more planting space it can be tailor made to your reach! I've read some articles relating to vertical reach and have made the appropriate changes to my plans, as always please adjust to your needs. The wall mounting unit you see is basicly a frame with 12mm marine ply in front of it. This will allow you to drill into the ply and hang the garden pots from it. If possible you can choose to have the frame built and mounted to the nearest accessible wall. If not possible simply have the legs built according to plan. Please note that I have made the legs longer at the back to allow you to place a bag of sand as ballast to prevent the wall from tipping. I have used  this particular wall hanging pot as an example.

It was the first cheapest wall hanging plastic pot I could find.It was the first cheapest wall hanging plastic pot I could find.

I've made the timber wall big enough to take 10 of these pots. It should provide you with a lot of planting space not only for herbs but other plants as well. I've limited the height of the wall to 1.3 meters, but should shoulder strength be an issue you can make the wall lower. Just use the pot as a measuring guide as to how high you want the mounting wall. There are many examples of vertical gardening, if you have access to the internet it will show you a wealth of ideas on choices of plants and type of pots to use. If you would like the plans to be amended please send me a message here in the workshop community and I will re draw the plans as soon as time permits. I hope these ideas helped and wish you the best of luck in your gardening plans.

Just to let you know, those pots can be unhooked and serviced on your potting table.

One with the pots installed and one without, you can have more side by side.One with the pots installed and one without, you can have more side by side.The bag of sand goes at the back.The bag of sand goes at the back.

This is what we want it to look like!This is what we want it to look like!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Hank

I just wanted to know if that vertical planter was gonna work out for you?

These are awesome, do you know if anyone has used these drawings? I am looking at building some (or getting some one to build them for me)  for a garden that is for people with disabilities as well as the community and think these look fantastic. thanks so much!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects