Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When is the best time to plant tomatoes?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

When is the best time to plant tomatoes?

Some say it's best to start in early spring when the frost risk has diminished, while others swear by planting during the warmer months when the soil temperature is just right.

I'm curious to know when the best time is to plant tomatoes to ensure a successful crop.

Keen to hear all your thoughts. Tagging @mich1972@LisasGarden@Noelle and @Adam_W to kickstart the discussion.

Akanksha

Planting tomatoes.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: When is the best time to plant tomatoes?

Timing depends on where you live and what the prevailing weather conditions are like in your part of the country.

In cooler areas like southern Victoria, for example, seed can be sown now (early September) into seed trays kept in a warm, sheltered position to protect them from cold winds and possible frosts.

Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they've each produced their second set of true leaves, when they are around 50mm tall and probably 2 weeks after seeds have germinated, and again place pots in a warm spot. Over the next 2-3 weeks, gradually toughen the seedlings up by moving them day by day into a fully outdoor spot where they're exposed to the elements day and night.

Usually, by around mid October, the soil is warm enough to plant tomato seedlings out into the vegie patch where I live, in Melbourne. By this stage too, the chances of a frost are minimal so your tomato plants should grow away well and you should be picking the first ripe ones around Christmas.

That's all in a perfect world, of course 😊!

If, as is currently predicted, we are in for an El Nino weather event this summer, you may be able to bring the whole program forward a week or two. Warmer conditions earlier than we've had the past few years mean earlier planting and possibly a longer harvest period.

Good soil prep before planting out seedlings, regular feeding with an appropriate tomato liquid or soluble fertiliser (with boosted calcium to prevent blossom end rot disease in fruits) and deep watering making sure to keep droplets off the leaves will help promote strong, healthy plants and good cropping.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Ohhhhh the joys of growing your own tomatoes !!! I love it !! For us, I usually start planting them after the cold mornings / nights have gone and the soil is warming up. I like to grow a few different varieties. I have grown them in the ground and in large containers, either way is fine. 

A few tips I can share with everyone and what helps to strengthen your Tomato crops are - 

- Choose a sunny position.

- Add organic matter to the soil and mix in well. 
- If planting in containers, use a Premium Potting Mix or a tomato / vegetable mix. 
- Choose what variety you want to grow. I like growing Cherry Tomatoes for salads and to just eat straight off the vine when you are in the garden. Also Roma tomatoes. There are so many varieties and the Heirloom varieties from Diggers are amazing too. 
- Something that is extremely important when you plant your own tomatoes is to add Dolomite Lime to the soil. Tomatoes need Calcium to help prevent Blossom End Rot, this is when the bottom of the fruit turns black, it can wipe out the crop. 
- They need to be fertilised regularly and it’s good to add extra Potassium to encourage flowering and fruits. I always add Sulphate of Potash. 
- Also I love to Companion Plant with lots of Sweet Basil. Basil attracts the beneficial bees and insects to help improve pollination. Planting Marigolds around your tomato plants will help deter Root Knot Nematodes that attack the root system. 
- If you can avoid overhead watering that will help prevent fungal damage such as Powdery mildew . Deep watering on the soil is good. 
These are just the things I do when I am growing tomatoes. I’m sure gardeners on the Workshop have their wonderful ways to grow tomatoes. I could bang on longer but won’t bore you all, I just love to encourage everyone to have a good go at growing your own !!! 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Akanksha 

I have already turned my tomato garden bed over about 3-4 weeks ago. So I am getting fresh grass coming through the soil which means its time to plant some seedlings :smile: I have a Gabion wall behind the tomato plant area so the warmth helps them along. I heard on on the radio that its a good idea to wait until the night temp raises to around 12 degrees before planting tomatoes. Im right on the edge of that temperture range so probarly another week or so and then I will plant them (Live South of Sydney) The Gabion wall's, collected heat helps out hugely with extending the season and keeping the ultra cold away.

Dave

robchin
Becoming a Leader

So much great advice here.

My grandfather used to say 'In on Cup Day - tomatoes for Christmas (this will make sense for Victorian readers).

I don't get frost where I live now so have mine in already planted on the weekend. Not expecting them to grow much just now but they will be establishing roots. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Feels like summer already in Melbourne this week! I am going to get some plants on the weekend.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects