Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this plant growing in my lawn?

Tinker_Bell
Having an Impact

What is this plant growing in my lawn?

Hi Workshop community!

I have this plant growing all over my lawn. It also produces little white flowers. Is this a weed? What is the best way to remove it? 

Thank you,

Tinker_Bell

20230911_082354.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is this plant growing in my lawn?

Hello @Tinker_Bell 

Thanks for sharing your question about weeds in your lawn. Looking at the leaf pattern it appears to be nutgrass along with clover weeds. I've not seen these two grow in the same vicinity before as clover usually grows exclusive in its own area. I suggest acting swiftly when you spot Nutgrass in your lawn to prevent its rapid spread, it can make removal extremely challenging. The most effective method is using a small spade to dig it out. Ensure thorough removal to prevent regrowth, as any remaining roots or bulbs will lead to its resurgence.

For significant Nutgrass infestations, resort to a targeted herbicide like Amgrow Sedgehammer. Adhere to the manufacturer's instructions. Please note that multiple applications might be necessary. Ignoring these weeds allows them to multiply and take over your lawn.

In regards to the clover weeds, I recommend Yates 2.4L BuffaloPro Weed 'n' Feed Hose On Weed Killer. It's an easy-to-use, liquid hose-on herbicide, Yates Buffalo Pro Weed n Feed kills weeds and feeds lawns simultaneously.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you control weeds in your garden?

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

Please make sure to adhere to the safety rules printed at the back of the packaging and make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask when using chemicals on your lawn.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Tinker_Bell 

The small rounded leaf weed that has white flowers looks to be chickweed.  Because it is in the lawn its leaves are smaller than when it runs rampant in garden beds. The flower is tiny.  This weed will responds to any lawn weeder product designed to control broadleaf weeds in lawns. Check the label to ensure it can be used safely on all lawn types including buffalo grasses.

Noelle_0-1694410915283.jpeg

The taller fine leaved grass isn't, in my opinion, nutgrass.  It looks more like a fine turf grass of one sort or another as if often used in lawn seed blends.

Start by eradicating the chickweed, then re-examine the lawn to determine if there are other pest plants in it.

Hi @Noelle,

Spot on with what the flowers look like in bloom! I got some all lawn weed killer that includes chickweed. I also picked up Yates BuffaloPro Weed n Feed

as @EricL kindly suggested to keep the good grass in top health and some grass seed to grow where there are bald spots. I will update this spring with photos on how it is going. Thank you for your help!

Tinker_Bell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects