Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to get humus nr Caloundra?

himagaintoo
Just Starting Out

Where to get humus nr Caloundra?

Humus?? Told I need it for  home garden - can't find any locally? 

AND it is a domestic food garden. So we don't use anything "unsafe" to eat🙄

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where to get humus nr Caloundra?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @himagaintoo. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I am not aware of anywhere that sells Humus. If you find it, it is most likely just compost sold under a slightly misleading name. Humus takes years to make and, very basically, is broken down compost in its final form. It's the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms.

Each time you add organic matter to the soil, it will increase the amount of humus in the soil. It is a slow process, but if organic matter is added each year, the amount of humus will continue to increase.

Let me mention the helpful @mich1972 to see if she can add to the discussion.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Agreed with @MitchellMc 

@himagaintoo  Humus is basically Compost. By adding well composted animal manure, leaf litter, fruits and vegetables scraps, lawn clippings ect , you can make your own Compost. It’s a slow process and takes time to breakdown. Making sure to turn it over regularly to aerate it. 
Then you will see the Earthworms will start to help break it down . If you don’t want to make your own you can buy bags of compost. 

From my own experience in our edible garden at home, I add a lot of animal manure such as cow manure and I also use Lupin Mulch and Triple C as they both break down into a beautiful healthy feeding compost and encourage healthy soil microbes. 
We are in Perth and unfortunately have dreadful hydrophobic , lifeless Bassendean Sands, so it is important to build up the lifeless sand in our garden. I hope this helps. 😀😀

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @himagaintoo. We are certainly pleased to have you join us. 

In addition to the helpful replies you have received, I just thought I'd point you towards some very helpful step-by-step How to articles by one of our resident horticulturalists in @Noelle. I'm sure you will find them very useful.

Let us know if you need anything. We're here to help.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects