Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why doesn't my lemon tree produce fruit?

margotc
Just Starting Out

Why doesn't my lemon tree produce fruit?

my lemon tree looks healthy enough but i don’t get fruit why?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: lemon tree

Sending you a warm welcome to the Workshop Community @margotc. Thank you for asking about your lemon tree. Could I please trouble you for a couple of photos so we can see what is going on. It would definitely help us, along with some more information about it. Look forward to hearing back from you 🌿😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lemon tree

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @margotc. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lemon tree care.

As @mich1972 mentioned, it would be great to see some images of the plant. Let me know if you need a hand uploading them.

Several factors may be at play if your lemon tree isn't producing fruit. First, ensure your tree receives ample sunlight, as lemon trees thrive in full sun. Protect it from strong winds and extremely cold temperatures, as they can hinder fruit production. Adequate watering, especially during dry spells and flowering, is crucial to promote fruit set. Regular feeding during the growing seasons of spring, summer, and autumn is essential, as lemon trees have high nutrient requirements. Pruning should be minimal, mainly to control height and remove any dead or affected branches. Be vigilant for pests and diseases that can affect fruiting, such as citrus leaf miner, citrus gall wasps, scales, and others. Identifying and addressing these issues promptly can help restore fruit production.

I have a neglected citrus plant in my yard. This year I've applied Scotts Osmocote 500g Citrus and Fruit Controlled Release Fertiliser, giving the plant some PowerFeed 600mL Fertiliser Liquid Concentrate and mulched around it with Sugar cane. I'm now seeing far more flowers produced and fruit set.

Here's a helpful guide: How to grow and care for a lemon tree.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects