Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will this Frangipani survive? Does it need anything from me?!

EllaCourtney
Growing in Experience

Will this Frangipani survive? Does it need anything from me?!

A neighbour snapped a frangipani branch a few months ago, which I took happily - knowing i might be able to get a tree out of it! I can't work out where I want it in the garden though, so thought a pot plant for now. 

It gets a bit of afternoon sun, (this photo looks very dark - it is in the front yard which is south facing, but quite light and bright still, although shaded a bit by the neighbouring tree. It is only getting rain water only (as I haven't been watering it). Do you think it will survive like this? Should I be watering it (if so, how often?) and does it need any sort of love to nurture it to bloom next season?! 

It is completely bare but I know most are at this time of year so not sure if there's any way of checking on the health / getting it to flourish. 

Photo on 3-7-20 at 12.11 pm #3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Will this Frangipani survive? Does it need anything from me?!

Hi @EllaCourtney,

Many thanks for your question. I know my frangipanis certainly appreciate direct sunlight and are in full sun all day long. I would encourage you to find a location that gets direct sun for at least a few hours each day. Whilst it is throwing roots it only needs a limited amount of water but does still require full sun. Water only lightly at around once per week as damp soil will rot the cutting. They do not appreciate heavy fertiliser routines and survive quite well on water alone. As the plant will still be establishing roots this year I wouldn't have an overly high expectation that it will flower this summer.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @EllaCourtney,

Great to have you join the Workshop community. Welcome! 

You might get some helpful information and advice from this Bunnings guide - How to grow and care for a frangipani

Looking forward to seeing your new tree prosper.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much! Yeah.. thinking maybe I can shift it in the yard so at least it's not shaded by the tree behind it. And that's good to know I should keep expectations reasonably low for now haha :wink:

EllaCourtney
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Jason ! great link, appreciate your help! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects