Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Zucchini seedlings looks sick

crimsonqueen
Growing in Experience

Zucchini seedlings looks sick

zuccszuccs

Hello guys,

I am having a crack at planting zucchini and above is what my seedlings look like. All my 3 seeds emerged but I'm not sure what's the best way to manage this as I don't want to risk hurting them. Should I separate them now or later or just leave it and let it do its thing. Seems like it has fungus already. I cover it with my leftover wedding veil material :cheeky:

Could someone please advise what I should do next?

Thank you!

more info:

They are in a very sunny spot, soil is cow manure, compost on top of our existing garden bed with sugar cane mulch on top.

All my corn seedlings are dead by the way, and only one sunflower seedling emerged.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Zucchini seedlings looks sick

Hi @crimsonqueen,

I recall from previous posts that you said you were in Western Victoria. I wonder whether it's something to do with our strange weather recently? Let me tag @Noelle@Adam_W and @DonnaE to see if they might like to share some suggestions with you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Grub80
Making a Splash

Hi @crimsonqueen , your seedlings are fine. They are growing their first true leaves as all seedlings grow the first leaves called cotyledons. These are the leaves stored in the seeds. Once the seedlings then settle, they produce their first true leaves. You can usually tell by the shape of them. Your photo shows your plants have reached this stage.

depending on how much room you have, I would leave your seedlings to have a few more leaves on them and then dig up gently and re-plant for spacing. Zucchini plants do need space to grow. Good luck with your plants, be brave and have a go. If all else fails, plant some more!

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @crimsonqueen 

Agree completely with the previous response from @Grub80  - your zucchinis are fine!  Let them grow a little more before transplanting. Allow at least 60cm - 1m between plants as they do like plenty of space. They will merge together but that won't matter.

IJAS
Getting Established

Hi Crimsonqueen, excellent advice has been given use it and add this take some slow release fertilizer and ground

dynamic lifter mix a small amount and sprinkle around plants to ensure ongoing healthy growth and success will be yours.

crimsonqueen
Growing in Experience

Thank you guys for your contribution!
crimsonqueen
Growing in Experience

IMG_20200204_202322.jpg

IMG_20200204_202228.jpg

Some updates! Only two survived out of 6 seeds but it's awesome to see actual zuccs. I think zuccs are pretty encouraging for a brown thumb like me 😆 we haven't fertilise it or anything just came back from travelling and surprised to see some zuccs. 

Many thanks for the update @crimsonqueen. Looks like it won't be long before you'll be eating some. 😋

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
IJAS
Getting Established

Hi Crimsonqueen, I would do a ph test on your soil something does not sound right with what you have said and match you soil to the type of seed you want to grow as ph is critical to some plants, some prefer slightly acidic soil and others alkaline soil so do some research to do with soil Ph.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects