Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

clay soil

Rawns
Finding My Feet

clay soil

 Suggestions on how to grow tropical plants in Brisbane in heavy clay soil?

plants like ginger, ferns, palms, Heliconias, Zanzibar’s and Lilly Pillys 

DE00AE2A-4798-49BF-ACA2-EB89B6A69D8E.jpeg

melissa07
Finding My Feet

Re: clay soil

As a newbie, I thought I'd lend a hand with ideas. I have clay soil under which is a river bed -or was, some 80 years ago, in Coorparoo, Brisbane. I've been searching for things to grow as well. I've placed new soil, added sterilised compost which is something I need to change -a lot of composts & mixes tend to be sterilised & after using an excellent compost I found 50 % of what had failed to grow before, is now completely happy & growing stronger by the day. One thing an arborist suggested is to look at what you already have that is working well then check your neighbouring areas to see what grows well, there. Frequently your answer is in front of you!

I've found that lilly pillies even in shade, or full sun -and we know full sun doesn't mean 12 hours of baking heat & humidity at 45 degrees -do well. Also, in my area, rosemary is very hardy. Even in only two hours of sun, it does well & if there's strong afternoon sun, coming thru your cement base or fence, it should grow well, though slowly. Other things I've found that don't blossom but have terrific coloured vegetation & foliage is the species of coleus? The colourful leaves come in so many different hues you'd have a burst of colour all season long mixed in with your tropical plants.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @Rawns,

You might be interested in this helpful video about using clay in the garden by resident horticulturalist @Adam_W - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garden/Using-clay-in-the-garden/m-p/27030 

Hope you find it helpful. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects