Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

hi has anyone this season have trouble with growing JAP PUMPKINS ...

harvey1972
Finding My Feet

hi has anyone this season have trouble with growing JAP PUMPKINS ...

my plants grew rampant right around my garden but only presented male flowers and not one female flower with fruit on it.. has anyone have the same or similer problem

Jasonwcgray
Finding My Feet

Re: hi has anyone this season have trouble with growing JAP PUMPKINS ...

I had a similar problem this year with zucchinis. Normally i plant them next ti each other however this year they were on opposite ends of the vege patch. I think the distance between plants may have been the issue
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @harvey1972,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find plenty of great advice and information here on the site, and I look forward to reading about your projects and plans.

Sorry to read of your pumpkin trouble. I hope some Workshop members will be able to assist. Our community founders include many keen vegie growers such as @Dale@CathM and @timjeffries.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Jasonwcgray and a very warm welcome to Workshop. 

Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site. I would encourage you to get started by introducing yourself to the community. You are also more than welcome to kick start a new discussion about your zucchinis or any other topic.

Thanks again for joining the community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Welcome! Have you tried hand pollinating @Jasonwcgray @harvey1972

These guys know what they're talking about on this stuff.

http://littleveggiepatchco.com.au/blogs/news/8430939-hand-pollination

@harvey1972 did you mean that no female flowers were produced at all or just none stuck around and got some fruit happening?

No female flowers at all... I couldn't hand pollenate iff i wanted to

I had the same with zucchini as well with my second planting after Christmas... But my first planting was fine
QuailFlock
Having an Impact

Which part of the world are you in?

Female flowers of the cucurbita family, such as pumpkins, zucchinis, cucumbers, will only apprear when the temperature is right, say above 25C.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects